Will I be denied? Please shed light

I accepted, and started working security at one of the NASA centers. The position requires a secret security clearance and i’ve been worried to death about it. Like I said, I was able to begin working while the investigation is underway but I would be fired if I got bad news.

Reasons i’m worried are in 2013 I got my first and only DUI. Two years before that I was arrested for disturbing the peace. A few speeding tickets. Okay now for the worst part IMO… I have 4 accounts in collecting totaling around 3,500 dollars. However, I also have 4 personal loans, and two auto loans completely paid off with a 100% on-time payment history. The reason those 4 accounts are in collection is because I got behind on payments with a wife and two children in the house and only making $13/hr.

I was 100% honest with everything on the E-QIP and I told my investigator and my FSO that I plan on consolidating my outstanding accounts into one payment (already talked to my credit union about this and since i’m in excellent standing with them, it wouldn’t be a problem). I’m waiting to do that when I go full-time though. I’m part time/on call right now with no guarantee on hours. I don’t want to take a chance at doing that and not being able to make a payment on time.

I also did some job hopping back in the day and was fired twice. However, I was with my last job for nearly 4 years and gave a two week notice.

No drugs.

Thank you everyone who replies!

The leading cause for people being denied security clearances is financial concerns. It sounds like you have some open issues in this area.

Here’s one way it could play out: you could be issued a Statement of Reasons (SOR) listing why they intend to deny you a clearance and offering you a chance to tell your side of the story. If at that time you can show that you have already started making payments, it would be better, but still a concern.

If at all possible, try to start paying off those debts in collection right away and develop a plan for paying off the debt. I suppose that could include increasing the payments when you go full-time.

You are right, the financial issues are the worst part.

1 Like

@Marko what do you think?

You indicated that you are supporting a wife and kids, but that is not an excuse for having delinquent debts. Adjudicators look at what caused the debt, what have you done.are you doing to resolve them, and what is the likelihood of the situation happening again in the future. Then you have a DUI and a disturbing the peace, which indicates a possible alcohol issue, and then throw in the employment terminations . Taken separately these issues would not result in a denial, but when you have multiple issues that paint a picture of questionable judgment and unreliability it is harder to apply mitigating circumstances, I would expect that you will receive a statement of reasons with an intent to deny. Not saying you can;t overcome the issues, but you will have to do your due diligence to show you have these issues under control and that they will not reoccur.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Dang I will be torn to pieces if I lose this job.

Recommendation: get into a repayment agreement or deferment plan with each creditor. By moving it from unaddressed to addressed debt…it shows intent to honor obligations. Negotiate the lowest minimum payment you can possibly afford, and then start making them. Cancel cable. Cancel Wifi, use library. Cancel magazines and newspaper subscriptions to cover this cost. In short do what you need to do to get current now. I lean towards Marko’s take that combining all the issues…under the whole person concept…there are concerns. But if given a statement of reasons, and if you made headway by first getting into an agreement, and then getting current…seeing the subsequent rise in credit score…3 to 4 payments on each…you can lay out a possible case the DUI was an aberration, and finances are repaired. I read quite a few appeal cases where the SOR spoke of X number of delinquent accounts, and the person was now current on X accounts, clearance granted. Making progress on some but not all almost always results in “not doing what they said they were going to do.” Explain to each creditor the circumstances, state your intention to make it right. You need talk to a person a level or two beyond the clerk on the phone normally. I find most companies just want the payment. If it went to collections and the debt is sold…it gets more complicated as they will ask for the entire debt, interest, penalties etc. By speaking the original holder of debt you have the ability to turn this around. But the longest journey is made shorter after the first step. Too many times I read “I will get into a repayment plan.” The correct answer is “I AM in a repayment plan, X payments made.” Clearance understands life throws curve balls. We cannot always anticipate divorce, job loss, spouse loses income etc. But showing a changed lifestyle to adapt to lower income and positive steps towards correcting the situation…has a higher percentage chance of positive results. Sometimes tightening the belt is painful. Sell the camper or boat, downgrade the car, sell the motorcycle etc. But showing the steps taken looks more in your favor. Waiting to see if you get a SOR…you are behind the 8 ball.

Even better if you are already doing these actions before your Subject interview. Amberbunny’s advice is pretty much spot on.

The Subject interview is always easier when the Subject has a plan, has been following the plan for at least six months, and has the plan documentation (letters/emails of agreement with the creditor(s), payment history, pay off date). Too many times I hear, "I am planning on paying my debts when I get a little ahead but I have no specific plan or timeline.*

You will be interviewed about the DUI also. Prepare a timeline of events from the day you were drinking, through the arrest, to the court date, and any court actions you were required to complete. Write down details so you will recall the information when asked by your investigator. This will help speed up your interview and investigation.

1 Like

Hey guys here’s a quick update… my case is now in adjudication and about my accounts in collections, they were recently paid off in full amount. I’m still stressing over this as it could be any day now with a decision. Is it unusual for no one to ask for proof or any sort of documentation yet? My BI didn’t ask for any either.

Thanks.

1 Like

Congrats on getting those accounts paid off!

1 Like

They will see it in your credit report.

1 Like

Good on you. Worst case scenario: denial and statement of reasons. From there you appeal and provide documentation they are paid…overturned and you are cleared. They system understands getting upside down on debt. What they do not grasp is not addressing it. You have done that, and it is just about case closed. I have seen a FICO score bounce back from a bankruptcy to 680 in 6 months. So your FICO will recover fast.
Better case: You get approved, but must sign a letter of acknowledgement. You are still cleared, they will monitor your credit, and do follow up credit checks, they will see you addressed it and score has been brought up.
Best case: it was minor enough debt that it didn’t matter and you cleared.

Welp I just found out I fall under the ‘best’ case scenario! Thanks!!