A Typical Day for a Background Investigation Adjudicator

Originally published at: A Typical Day for a Background Investigation Adjudicator | ClearanceJobs Blog

Adjudicators must be decisive and efficient critical thinkers to make quality adjudicative decisions and meet timeliness standards, ensuring mission readiness and risk mitigation. They require a strong knowledge of the policies and procedures that govern adjudications and need to be able to efficiently review a subject’s case, identify the information relevant to national security, and…

3 Likes

I would like to know more about these self-mitigating issues…

What is/are consider as minor issues?

Minor issues are not self-mitigated. The adjudicative guidelines provide rules and guidance on what types of mitigation can be applied by the adjudicator.

Minor issues are those that do not rise to the level of concern that an action is needed, e.g., one misdemeanor for DUI, a couple of collection accounts, traffic citations, or even illegal drug use in some cases as long as it wasn’t recent and not associated with criminal conduct.

1 Like

Thank you for feedback.

My security clearance was revoked and I paid close to 20,000 in my defense. Adjudicators and management work together if they want to remove you from your position. I was the 10 percent that did lost his security clearance.

I am sure you did nothing wrong.

3 Likes

My story is complicated in which I do not want to post. I received a settlement agreement in which I could not whistle blow of many other restrictions.

I have a wire fraud felony from a mortgage transaction that I spent 2 years in prison for when I was 22. The offense was in 2006 but the prison time and guilty plea was 2015… so even though I’ve been out of prison now going on 3 years the offense is pretty old and college age. I explained all this throughly in my sf86 and my interview.

I assume I am receiving a sor. And waiting on the password… I didn’t think my felony was automatically disqualifying and I gave my mitigation factors in both my interview and application.

What more would an adjudicator be looking for? I’m speculating as to what’s going on because I haven’t received my password for the pdf in a few days.

One thing to mention is I submitted my sf86 in June 2018 and had my interview in nov 2018.

Also if you sent an SOR to an applicant would it still show pending in jpas?

I just heard from my adjudicator that my application for a Q clearance is being passed down the line. The hr reps at my company said thats a denial.

My denial is for bad credit. I spoke with an attorney and he said my case is a very easy win in his book if i appeal. I would like to appeal but im an engineer and non union and i will most likely be terminated. I know in dod terms that means i loose my right to an appeal. I believe that in the DOE world i can still appeal my case. Does anyone know if this is true?

To my knowledge, you can still appeal even in the DoD process once you have an SOR.

My attorney told me that if you loose your job for a defense contractor then you loose jurisdiction and you cannot file an appeal. I think that may not be the case when a doe contractor releases you for a denial but im not sure. Either way, if i loose my job its going to be tough to afford an attorney to appeal my case.

Does anyone know for sure?

One loses their job if they display loose morals.

2 Likes

Sorry. Im not an english major. I dont spell check often and thought there would be professionals here interested in helping.

Loose and lose, hmmmm maybe im in the wrong place. Sorry to bother you guys.

In my book no points are taken off for spelling and grammar in these forums. But I did think @Harpoon had a witty reply :slight_smile: