Accepting SECRET job when i have a TS/SCI

Hi,

Im thinking of accepting a new job with Air Force that requires a SECRET clearance…but i have had a TS/SCI for almost 5 years.

Will my TS/SCI then expire if im working in a job that only requires Secret ?

Thanks for your help

The old answer would have been, if you are not in a position requiring access to TS/SCI you will not get a reinvestigation that would maintain your access… but now with continuous evaluation, who knows? Maybe you still have the two-year window to get a TS/SCI job or possibly get into a position with the Air Force where you can get back into access based on your current investigation.

2 Likes

It is the position driving the clearance, not the cleared person. So moving to a Secret seat…would techically turn off the TS. But ypu could cross over to a different TS seat and it may be renewed. May. If you stay with same agency. If you leave any 3 letter agency…they use their own reporting databases on top of scattered castles. So lets say a CIA clearance…will not show up on the new DoD system. It may show up on Scattered…will definitely be in the CIA system. Every 3 letter swears they are the only one doing clearances correct and they don’t trust the other 3 letters.

3 Likes

Hi,

Is it easy to have another contractor in Pentagon hire me in a TS position if i am working in a Secret job ?

If i just take the SECRET position now for 6 months then find a TS job in Pentagon.

I received my TS 12/2017, about 4.5 years ago

These jobs are with DOD, i only work with DOD

Thanks

To piggyback off what @Amberbunny2 said, the clearance goes with the position, not the individual… BUT your “eligibility” may still be in effect within that mythical two-year window. Actually it is a little better than mythical… let’s say “notional”

As the poet said, your mileage may vary. As the modern day poet might say, YMMV

1 Like

Yes at least for the next 11 months or so. Simple cross over to the new places books. The closer you come to needing a new BI…can drive a couple different paths, but they all get you to the job. Some places ask for a fresh SF86, and what I call a “No-No-No” check. That is where they look at it all but primarily the no to drugs, drink, arrests, foreign contacts, debt, supremacy organizarion questions. This can allow a hire…and then generate immediate new BI. We did this on the regular.