Alcohol Consumption and Security Clearances

So what do you all recommend my friend do?

And I won’t go off on a tanget because I do not want to have the topic locked down…I apologize to the moderator who has been most respectful and professional.

What productive steps can my friend do to show that there will never be a fourth dui. He is currently in an alochol program and has the interlock device in his vehicle. All results are positive.

He has informed.me that he has decided to voluntarily upon completion of said interlock device program; leave the device in his car permanently because the temptation to drive home is too great and he never wants to be on the wrong side of the law again.

Time as well would imagine would help? It has already been a year and a half.

Thank you for your input

I can personally attest as someone who has a felony in his past. Mistakes happen. I’ll be the first to admit that. That was my case but I’ve also seen Stresses in life can make us make bad decisions as well.

He might need to wrap his head around what’s causing his desire to drive drunk “to be too great”. There is a level of self control that is imperative to life, not just work.

I think the level of consumption does play a factor. Dwis and duis are different in my opinion.

I have been on the wrong side of judgmental people as well.

A few months ago I was working overnight shifts stocking shelves for 10 bucks an hour.

If he continues to do the right thing I’m sure doors will open up.

I’m almost 35 . have a masters, speak 3 languages, and have tons of experience.

Life happens and showing humbleness is important.

I believe he’s might have learned his lesson over the last year. Just needs to show some persistence and patience.

Good luck to him.

1 Like

I agree there is serious concern here. I think it would be more beneficial to examine why the person is faulting than just throwing them out.

This isn’t the land of second chances I’ve seen since dealing with my own issue. I’ve always given people the benefit of the doubt, when something has popped up. Unless they show me different.

If we keep throwing people away when things happen. Regardless of if we would expect it to happen to us, the question is should that be the initial response just because it’s the easiest?

Time is a mitigator, so the more time the better… How are the DUIs spread out? We’re they close together or long spans? In reviewing cases it seems like if the DUIs happen as an example in 2012/2016/2017 then the courts would want a track record of 4+ years of sobriety since individual went 4 yrs between DUIs. Alcohol assessment helps, and completing the recommended treatment.

In california there is no such thing as a DWI. That is state specific. As an umbrella statement we follow federal not state laws. I hope we are evaluated as such and I believe that to be the case.

Each person is a unique case. One DUI is bad. We make mistakes. Multiple is even worse. Your friend is tipping the scale against his favor but I suggest he change his lifestyle and be truthful. In the event he does not he should maintain a positive lifestyle, then in couple years he can reapply with greater success than the first time around.

Also, I dont think him having the interlock device permanently would fix anything other than suggest he has greater issues than seen from the surface.

1 Like

That’s interesting. You would think the legal limit would dictate the charge.

Everybody handles their alcohol differently but impairment goes up with a higher bac

Good to know though about California.

Yes . . . DUI and DWI are the same thing. Each state has their own law, there is no federal law and each state calls it what they want. You can have three DUI’s and two DWI’s if you live near a state border . . .

2 Likes

Well actually dui (driving under the influence) is a charge you can receive if you’ve been driving while on drugs, it could also mean alcohol but dwi always means alcohol

1 Like

@ForeverCoding I responding to your statement…but anyone on here can respond.

I value all resposnes and thank you for your time.

So you are saying that when my friend explains his dui(s) his plan to never get another one again is to simply leave the device in the car.

Isn’t that a solid plan? It is impossible to get a dui if you have that device in your car.

HR and security folk wouldnt agree

Lol its bad ok. Dui 2 and 3 were a week apart.

Not a good look.

How honest should be be lol. He didn’t think the 2nd dui was fair or legit so he mentally ignored it completely and that is why the 3rd one happened right after the 2nd one. He made no behavioral changes at all. In his defense, the 1st one was in 2012 so for 5 years he was doing smthn rite.

I dont he think shouldnt be able to work…but I acknowledge (even if he his my friend) how bad two dui(s) a week apart looks.

So he will have the device in his car to prevent him from drinking and driving ever again. Fair enough. But that doesnt solve his drinking issue. Whats there to say he doesnt come to work drunk? Whats there to say he doesn’t do anything questionable at the bar? Even worse, he may even spill classified information and not recall it at all.

Do you see my drift? The issue isnt the DUI. The DUI is one component of the whole mess hes portrayed himself to be. So have the device in his car all he wants it wont help his case by a landslide. We’re also talking about multiple DUIs not one or two…

If there are recent patterns of misconduct/unwillingness to follow rules, regulations, laws, etc., then security personnel have every right to question his judgment and his future behavior. Willful engagement in risky and illegal behavior is something you don’t want to take a chance on in the eyes of adjudicators. They don’t want someone who is a potential risk to be in an environment where he potentially can access sensitive or classified information. Whether or not the person doing the work requires a clearance in the first place is a whole other argument.

1 Like

If he wants any chance I think he would need an alcohol assessment, likely some type of inpatient/outpaitent alcohol treatment and a track record of counseling/AA attendence and some time to mitigate the concern.

I would think the motivation to pay one’s bills would be sufficent enough for none to happen because if he did that he would lose his.job. I am quite sure his supervisor.would aporeciate him coming to drunk…so that is not a concern that any of u need worry about.

It simply is if you live.in the United States metropolitan area and are.single with no.kids you are going out. Its really that simple. And you have a couple of beers and you drive and a cop gets you.

Darn.

Like.thats.the end of it. And again sensitive i information; really is he james bond?

Did you read my previous post. He is literally needing a badge so he can read scope.of works detailing trash cans to be dumped or.kitchens to be cleaned.

It was a janitorial contract. In what way is that sensitive?

So again I ask what.is he supposed to do. He has a solid plan for never.getting DuI again and that is unacceptable to you all yet that the reason why.he lost his job.

So what is he to do?.just never work in the field again

We can keep drawing on a white board and fantasize about conclusions all day. As I said before let him apply and await the results. Hopefully as he waits he takes this seriously and changes his habits.

GL.

We’re not speaking to you personally on this, were speaking in regards to the process. I wouldn’t worry about selling us on his trust worthyness. From an adjuncator standpoint 3 DUIs is a problem, it’s his responsibility now to show how it’s not by providing mitigating circumstances.

1 Like

While I do not personally agree(my thoughts are irrelevant); this thread has been helpful.

You have brought up the reasons/thought patterns for why this concern matters.

My friend can use this so now he knows how to best prepare his defense for the next 1.

Thanks

Is it impossible to get a DUI with the device in the car? Sure . . . Leave the car running; start car and THEN start popping the brews; defeat the device; have someone else blow; get another car; steal a car (you are, after all, drunk); drive your wife’s car or your son’s . . . .

You see how it goes on and on . . .

3 Likes

Good afternoon,

I have a problem. I have 3 Dui(s) and I do not know how to explain them.

Long story short…I simply thought I could beat the system. I cannot.

In June 2012…I received my 1st dui. It was a simple traffic.violation (my headlights were out)…I had been drinking earlier but he (the officer) could not tell…no.smell, odor, slurred speech, etc.(this is by his account not mine-i.e. the police report) In other words I appeared normal.
What gave me away was I decided to talk to the officer and give him my opinion on things. If I had stayed quiet…“yes sir” “no sir” it would have simply been a ticket.

I say that to say that the take away from that for me (stupidly I now admit) was not don’t drink and drive but rather…shut up and be polite/respectful and you will be fine.

Well…5 years later that is no longer true. Dui 2 and 3 happend in March of 2017. I thought Dui 2 should not have happend because the police.officer pulled me over and then proceeded to rush towards the car and instructed me to get out the vehicle I am under arrest. (He did not go through his normal procedures of “do you know why I pulled you over” etc.) So I mentally ignored this all together thinking he was wrong, not I, and I will beat this in court.

Dui 3 happens and this is when it dawns on me that fine I cannot beat the police. The officer pulls me over for a tail-light being out and goes through his normal procedures and then instructs me to step out the vehicle.

I say all this to say…I am not a bad person nor am I an alocholoc, drunk, or any of the sort.

I simply like to.drink socially, trust myself to drive, and thought I could get away with it. I cannot so fine…I will now cut myself off completely so as to never get another one of these.

I can’t. Ok. I understand that. There will not be a 4th dui. I will not ever drink and drive again because if I am pulled over now (for anything); once the officer approaches my window and I roll it down…he will smell the alcohol and know I have been drinking.

It was not always like that and that is why I continued. I am stubborn and obviously dumb to chance it.

How do I explain that? I am stressed because I have created the perfect storm for myself. I don’t have an alochol problem. Again, I simply thought I could beat they system and I cant.

I am excellent at my job. Wherever I work…my work is praised. I have never had an employer ever say anything negative about my work.

As far as my drinking goes? It has nor would it ever interfere with my work. I never drink during the week because I don’t want to be hungover at work. I only ever go out Fri and/or Sat. (My dui(s) happened on these days).

Anyway, how should I explain this? What should I do. I have already volunteerly put myself in a alochol class.

Then you for your feedback.