I saw a similar topic before, but I think my situation is different enough. My case is in adjudication right now, and has been for about 3 months. There is a chance for me to get another job. My current job is fine, but this new job would mean a higher salary and profile (bigger company, more established). I would start in 2-3 months. They would want me to stay for the long term. I might have a second interview soon. My question is should I just wait it out at my current job? Should I be honest with them during my second interview and tell them about my situation? My goal is to work for the State Department, but I have a family to consider and we need to start thinking about moving companies.
Go for it. You can start the new job and who knows, you may never get cleared or it could take 2 years. When the time comes and you get the clearance, and you prefer this new job, then you shouldn’t be obligated to work for the cleared position unless you signed a contract already. If you want to work for the cleared position then you can quit the new job you just started. If this new job requires a clearance then it may not be in your best interest because then you run into the problem of two ongoing clearance investigations.
- I am speaking from my own experience. I started a better job while waiting on a clearance…
Thanks for the advice. Should I tell the other company about my situation in the interview?
No I wouldn’t. Unless they ask you a specific question that relates to contracts and seeking other employment, I would not mention other jobs you are pursuing. If/when your clearance goes through it would be the same as if you found another job at that time.
Depending on what state you live in, your employment would be considered “at will” in that a company can fire you at anytime and you can quit at anytime. This situation wouldn’t apply if you were working under a contract. However, if it is the former, then you don’t owe the company any promises other than your time and effort whilst employed. Being in adjudication is tricky, because you can literally get a call any day saying that you are cleared to work. Technically, you can quit on the spot but risk burning bridges that you might need as references for future investigations and job opportunities. If it were you, I would look at my financial situation, and if I could hold out as long as I could at my current job. However, there is no transparency with the clearance process so it could be 2 years before you hear anything.