I have found some threads similar to this but not exactly so I want to ask again because of the current climate we are in. As some background, I am a college senior that is graduating in May. To my knowledge, I am in the adjudication phase as everything else has been done. It all started in January 2019, Investigation and Poly are done which it has been 9 months since. But, I have a prospective job as an entry data analyst for uncleared work to do while I am waiting because I am going to be graduated and jobless. Given the current state of affairs and nothing moving too quickly, I don’t want to be out of a job when I graduate. For additional info, I also would prefer the cleared job as it is something I very much want to do and pays double what this job would. So my question is should I inform the new employer about waiting on the clearance and that is what I want to do when I potentially get it? It has been brought u if I had anything in the work and I don’t know how to go about answering that question. I don’t want to have the hypothetical of starting the position, then a week later receiving the clearance and having to quit the other job. I know you can’t put your life on hold but it’s also tough because of potentially having to move around and be stuck in a lease etc etc. So any help should be great! Thank you for reading this all and I hope it makes sense
If I were you I would take the job. Like you said - it’s not easy to find a job these days. Also, adjudication can take a long time. Second - there is no guarantee the clearance will be given. Third, even if it is given - who is to say the position you applied for is still waiting for you? There might be some time before you find another. And if you are worried about a moral aspect of leaving the job you recently started, do you think a company you work for would think twice about your situation if they decide to lay off people? On top of all that you are getting real experience after college, that is also a plus.
No. Just take the job and when the time comes and you are cleared to EOD, you should talk with your employer.
As a side response and question to this, what happens in the case that the position is no longer available? Can someone then apply for another position in the same organization and, if offered the job, build off of the previous investigation and clearance process?
Interesting, the reason I thought to do that would be at least to give them that information and to be aware of the possibility without saying it will happen, as it is tentative of course, but so it is on the table so it cant be said that I blindsided and possibly burn a bridge to speak.
I agree, honestly I did not think consider how it would work on the flip side. And one more thing to focus on specifically, to get multiple points of view, as the company has asked if I had anything in the works should I even mention the potential clearance and explain that it is not a given? Although i’m sure that they should at least have some idea of the process as a whole. That would alleviate in my mind of any possible considerations that if the one week hypothetical to happen to have blindsided them.
I wouldnt. This could lead to being treated in a different way at that position and they will come all of the questions about what you will be doing, who you will be working for etc. I wouldn’t mention it until you get the FJO or even EOD.
I agree. Treat the clearance process like a pregnancy. It’s nobody’s business what your plans are and if you tell them they could quite possible decide to lay you off for legitimate reasons. I’ve seen it done. Luckily, you already have the interviewing process completed and investigators should not need to speak with your current employer. Many agencies unrealistically tell applicants specifically NOT to tell their employer about this process/application.
It would certainly make sense.