Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

My file has been sitting with an IC adjudicator since 20 April (adjudicator contacted me for one checkbox I missed on the SF86). I was stationed in the U.K. for 14 years so I have several British friends from the U.K. and my wife is from the U.K. This may explain the slowness. Otherwise I have a clean slate.

Well that has to be a record… What nationalities are these individuals? And how are they contacted if at all? I have only 7 or 8 being from Europe, Africa and South America. Oh and my parents hosted a Chinese kid in a high school exchange program.

I am in the same situation as you tony, several months of sitting in adjudication when I have no criminal record or debt or any misdemeanor of any kind.

What’s so frustrating is not knowing where your file is sitting, why it’s taking this long, and then being told “we’re not allowed to discuss that with you!”

1 Like

I have been sitting in adjudication since July '16, and I also had a ton of foreign contacts. In my case they were mostly a (now ex) cohabitant’s contacts from a low-risk country. I have been really hoping that the fact that I have not spoken to that ex cohabitant for more than a year would speed things up. But it seems like a large quantity of foreign contacts is at least one common cause for these uber long wait times. So I am not optimistic.

I have to concur based on what I’m seeing where I work. It’s human nature to do the easiest jobs first and take credit for what you’ve completed. No one wants to be the person working on a complicated case for months and then going through a performance review in the environment investigators are subjected to these days. You were lucky there was a brave soul out there who took your case. Whether he gets rewarded for taking on the the hard task or gets dinged for not producing results as fast as his colleagues would be interesting to know.

1 Like

I have no foreign contacts but my timeline is very similar with yours. Still waiting to hear back.

I’m putting this here to give an idea to others trying to get into the military. I DEPed in 14 October 2015 and that’s when the process to get my clearance started. I was scheduled for adjudication since April of 2016 I believe. It’s been about 22 months total now with no word and the only “problem” with me is the fact that my mom was born out of country.

Figured I’d post this so others understand just how long you may go with absolutely 0 F’s given about you or this backlog.

1 Like

Just to update everyone. I finally received my Secret Clearance. Took what seems like forever. This is for the DMV area.

Submitted eQIP January 2016.
Interviewed July 2016.
Investigation closed January 2017.
DoDCAF assigned Adjudicator March 2017
Final Secret Granted August 8, 2017

354 for the Background Investigation
213 for the Adjudication
567 Total for an Initial Secret Clearance

Congrats! DMV resident here, I am not too pumped about those numbers.

My Story:
While in the military, as an Intelligence Analyst, I held a TS/SCI clearance for 22 years. I retired in 2003 and continued to hold my clearance as a defense contractor. I submitted my PR as required every several years. My last PR was submitted around Feb 2012 and the investigation was completed around Jun 2012 (I ordered and received a copy of the investigation and did not note any negative items in the report). While still employed with my company, I received periodic emails from our security manager informing me my clearance had not been adjudicated as of the date of the e-mail. Starting in early 2013 the sequestration hit and the government did not renew many defense contracts. I was laid off by my company in September 2013 due to our contract not being renewed. So it is now 2017 (my clearance is inactive)…I’m up the creek without a boat or paddle. I don’t know where to go to find out why my clearance was never adjudicated. The paperwork and investigation was complete. Of course, if a company isn’t willing to take ownership of my clearance and have me submit a SF86C (I think it’s a C), I’m not sure I will ever get my clearance reactivated. Here is a bit of information I came across a year or so ago. I was interviewed by an investigator for a former co-worker who listed me as a reference. The investigator informed me, when the sequestration hit, a stop work order was sent to all investigator (even those in the field in the middle of conducting interviews). My co-worker was also laid off but was hired on by a company willing to take ownership of his clearance and resubmit his SF86. He now has an active clearance and employed.

You are not the only one didn’t granted Interim, I was so sure that I was expecting my interim last March and my FSO called me and said, it was denies, and I was so upset. Since I’ve good job I didn’t worry too much. But have been thinking everyday that how soon I would get my secret clearance. I had submitted SF86 in Nov’16 and still waiting…I know it’s too early.

Status Update:
Applied in the DMV area

eQip: 3/2016
Reference check: 11/2016
Interview: 2/2017
Neighbor check: 3/2017
Investigation Closed: 8/2017
Cleared: 8/2017

2 Likes

What level clearance is this for?

Congrats Lilroundbob, I just got mine as well!
Secret Clearance
EQIP - 08/2015
Interim denail - 10/2015
Interview with BI - 11/2015
SOR recieved - 07/2017
Clearance granted - 08/2017

Are u doe l clearance?

Congrats to you both!

Hello,
I am a resident of texas, employer based in MD/VA
The job requires DOD secret clearance

Submitted eQIP Feb 2016.
Interim clearance denied feb 2016

Approached local congressman for assistance with clearance processing, this was a big help in getting my case moving.

Interviewed abroad at a US consulate by dept of state investigator in early Dec 2016.
Investigation closed January end 2017 and forwarded to DOD adjudication.

The investigator spoke to my american colleagues at my foreign location. they have not spoken to references, contacts, listed on my application form.

I do not see OPM or DOD having checked my credit either.

Pending DoD Adjudication

Per employer security officer the DOD or adjudications will not provide any status information except it has been sent for additional review and still in adjudication.

Congressmans office can only correspond with OPM , unable to access adjudications dept etc.

Congrats @littleroundbob and @lmikelowrey… I just got mine also!!

2 Likes

-TopSecret - Wow congratulations! So happy to see some movement for us!