Can I still receive a security clearance with mental health issues?

Thank you for your input.

I am not sure if I understand your comment?

The police brought me to the ER for a psychiatric evaluation. There, I apologized to the physician who evaluated me and I was released without being hospitalized. I was never considered to be an inpatient in a psychiatric facility.

I am debating whether to disclose this or not for a federal job application? What happened to me is not directly asked for in the SF-86, to the best of my understanding. While I want to be honest, I do not want to unduly incriminate myself if I can avoid it.

Any type of police contact or derogatory comment from them will be viewed negatively, even if it comes from a security guard who isn’t even a sworn LEO !

1 Like

I am a little curious who told you that what a security guard says matters. They are literally regular people who passed a multiple choice group test and make ten to twelve bucks an hour with no authority that any other citizen doesn’t have. I have been both a security guard and a sworn officer and now a background investigator. What a security guard says doesn’t mean squat to anybody including an investigator and it does not show up on a criminal history. All a security guard can do is a citizens arrest, same as any of us, take notes, same as any of us, and call the REAL cops, same as any of us. You definitely do NOT have to list what some RENT A COP said. That hilarious!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, if someone is wearing a uniform, and/or carries the title “security officer” (albeit not a sworn LEO), that fact appears to carry a certain level of significance to investigators

What about the case of Lynnae Williams? She was a former African-American CIA employee who is now active on tweet and YouTube. She was let go several years ago by the Agency allegedly for mental health issues, although she was never accused of any crime, misconduct, or mishandling of classified materials.

This is not true at all.

Without knowing the specifics of her case or her position, one can only speculate why she was let go. Also, investigations for the intelligence community are more in depth and require more than just a regular top secret investigation.

Also, former CIA employees aren’t suppose to say they use to work there without prior approval……

1 Like

So two or more psych holds would be a big deal?

Hi backgdinvestgator I was only seen in the ER. Does this make any difference at all?

That is a tough one. I have had cases expand for mental health because of developed ER visits for suicide attempts. Read the questions carefully and answer literally. You might need to self report under other requirements,

Ok- I didn’t attempt suicide though, lol.

Do you know if these people successfully got their clearance?

I rarely find out if Subjects get their clearance unless i run into them later or i happen to be assigned their periodic re-investigation.

1 Like

It depends on whom they spoke with there, and what they said.

I aways tell my kids, " if you dont atleast try, then you have already failed." I say go for it! Lots of good opportunities in cyber.

1 Like