Can writing a letter to your rep or senator make your FSO/employer pissed if they find out?

Your first step would be to find out if your investigation has closed, which you can do by calling the DCSA FOIA/PA hotline at 724-794-5612, x7000 . If its been closed for more than 30 days then your FSO can submit a CSR(formerly RRU/Request for Adju.) to attempt to force action on your case. That should at the very least give you a status on it from CAF. If that doesn’t produce anything, then I would go the congressional route.

For what its worth, COVID hasn’t drastically slowed down but one part of the process, that being the in-person elements of the investigation and initial finger printing. DCSA has actually bragged about getting their investigation back log down in June and people are still getting clearances in less than 3-4 months from time of SF-86 submission.

1 Like

According to my FSO polygraphs have also been put on hold, that’s the only thing to explain me being not in adjudication four months after my BI was complete.

Aww yeah I forgot about polys, even though I guess that is technically an in-person part. Some people on reddit have gotten TS’ but I guess not all of those require polys.

I would love to know if people have their polys scheduled. I mean this virus will not die anytime soon, how long are they planning to put that part on hold…

I cannot comment on a security clearance investigation and getting your local representative(s) involved; however, I have been in a contractual situation where the government was “clearly” wrong and promoting illegal activity with a targeted “full and open” contract award. The CEO of our company was furious and got our Senator involved. We received the contract award after everything was re-evaluated–THEN, we didn’t win another contract from that government agency for over 5 years. Millions of potential dollars lost, time wasted submitting proposals, and reduced revenue as this was a primary funding source. And for what? Over a relatively small award to prove a point. And, everyone did “prove their point”–sick the Congress on us and we’ll shove you in a broom closet until you beg forgiveness. So, based on personal experience, I’m not a believer that getting elected officials involved with the GS crowd yields positive results. The dynamics in the elected world change constantly, and the GSers know it. They seldom worry about Congressional involvement on an individual basis, and should that Congressional person push too hard, they will yield, but will retaliate over and over again. I’m working on a contract now where the Prime of 20 years became a Sub, and barely that, because they upset the status quo on the government side. You’re walking a well worn path getting others involved outside the GS community. A path that seldom led where those who walked it desired. If you want to remain in USG contracting, be very careful about whom you upset–as you’re discovering.

2 Likes

I personally am an FSO and when my clearance was taking forever in 2015-2016 I wrote my representative and boom my interim TS became final.

Shame on the FSOs acting in some of the ways I read in this post.

I have my employees write senators all the time if the situation warrants. If there’s nothing else I can do why not? (Although, yes, Agency specific, certain ones I’ve had no luck with.)

1 Like

@akbald01, which agencies were more responsive, and which were not?

I totally agree with your comment that “The dynamics in the elected world change constantly, and the GSers know it.” It’s a good thing our dynamics change with elections. I would hate to see us become a country where the same politicians are in charge for decades. It would be nice if elected officials treated GSers with a bit more respect and consideration.

Totally agree with that.

Maybe you weren’t the best bid.

Our contracts were mostly sole source due to the nature of the products involved. But, I understand your thoughts. Thank you.

That is insane. Just the other day some person said he got a TS/SCI in 54 days on the Reddit forum for security clearances. Wow.

That’s faster than the all-time record I cite… a guy from rural Louisiana who never traveled outside his home town until he enlisted in the Army… think the investigator did the whole investigation in one morning. He didn’t even have time to get an interim, they granted it so fast.

1 Like

There is no specific duration for how long a background investigation (BI) will take. Everything depends on the number of people available to gather the information, review the information, adjudicate any findings, obtain feedback on findings, process the interview, complete a final adjudication. If you have never had a BI before and you are relatively young, less than 10-years out of High School, it might be a fast check. But if you traveled abroad, have foreign relations, moved a lot, attended multiple schools, had multiple employers, lots of credit, etc. all of that impacts how long it takes. I have had BI clear in 2-short months (on a re-investigation) and drag on past 2-years for a new clearance. Factors matter. COVID slowed down all investigations for a few months, but they are back on track and working. You can contact your Congressman or you can just ask your FSO to see what JPAS/DISS says. They can show you the screen. They can’t print anything for you, but they can show you the screen and then you will know what they know. Time is not a bad thing. No news, is good news.

If you have one specific I’m happy to help if I’ve seen a crossover between the two before. But, I’m also now having a ton more luck on the contract where we’re a prime, and I’m going to strive to be the FSO I never had as a sub. It’s amazing what the right phone call to the right person can do in 2 minutes what DCSA/VROC/PSMO-I couldn’t/wouldn’t get done in 6 months (pre-COVID!)

Yep, that helps a lot!

1 Like

Hey man, did you finally get the call from those guys? Did you start working?

Ничего себе, они вообще охуели. Не, я бы не выдержал и позвонил ))).
Do they update you at all? That is ridiculous. It’s been what, around 2 months?

Hey Gen, any news for you?

Привет,
Radio silence.
How about your poly? Did you take it yet?