CBP Polygraph is a mistake

what is your experience with CBP poly
I am very disappointed.
it took 5+ hours, I was calm and confident, nothing to hide at all !!! all was going smooth, and at the end the examinator said that I failed last test and I am reacting to the last questions.
I have nothing to do with that questions, my connections to that questions are the same as I was on Mar planet and or I landed on the Moon !!, 0 connections, 0 allegations, nothing !
and he confronted my that I am reacting to is, and why and why and why
well, I do not knot why !! nothing to say,

he said, i failed because of the last questions and they may ask me to come again

what guys do you think? was he bs me and tried to confront? or I really failed
if I did, it is super disappointing to fail on something I did not lie! and this is a BS

“Passing” or “failing” a poly doesn’t mean that you are either being truthful or lying. It just means that some of your reactions are out of the standard range. This CAN be because you are lying or they are coming too close to something that you don’t want to discuss but it can also be the result of your frustration with the length of the exam or your perceived stupidity or irrelevance of the questions.

Being asked back isn’t uncommon or a big deal.

2 Likes

It is not standard practice for federal polygraph operators to tell an applicant he has failed when he has not in fact failed.

I think the poly folks know clearly well what they can and cannot say. When I got angry and told them they said I lied, they made clear they never used the words lie. They can imply anything. If you know you did not lie, stick to what you said and return as many times as they ask. Not unusual in the slightest to get 2 Poly’s, a handful get 3. Some get follow up interviews after that.

With regard to amberbunny’s comment, it should be noted that in federal law enforcement agencies, the results of any “re-test” offered following an initial failure almost always confirm the original polygraph operator’s call. Politically, the polygraph sections cannot afford to overturn more than a handful of results. To do otherwise would cast doubt on the reliability of polygraphy.

Another danger with “re-tests” is that there is an increased likelihood that one will be arbitrarily accused of having employed polygraph countermeasures.

Our advice to federal law enforcement applicants who are offered a “re-test” is to refuse it. It’s better to have just one “failed” polygraph on one’s record rather than two (or worse, a countermeasure accusation).