Failed CBP Polygraph

Over a year ago, I failed a CBP polygraph. The examiner said that I was being failed due to "Forms and Drug usage". There is no reason for him to fail me in those areas as I was answering his questions truthfully. I have already worked for a federal law enforcement agency for seven years and left the organization on good terms (three years ago). Will this hinder me from obtaining a new Secret clearance for another federal agency that does not require a polygraph as part of their normal hiring procedures? Any information is greatly appreciated.

There are lots of stories of people who failed the poly with Agency X but ended up getting cleared with Agency Y. Sometimes they fail one agency's poly but pass another's. It is hard to say for sure but if you are applying for a position outside of DHS I think that increases the chances you will be successful.

Was this a "one shot" deal? I have heard that DHS (CBP, ICE, etc) give you one shot to pass, at the most two. Other agencies are more patient.

CBP has the notorious reputation of a 60% fail rate for those administered polygraphs. All it means is you are not able to meet their requirements for the specific position. It should not affect eligibility for a Secret clearance.

Thank you for your response

Actually its a little higher, over 65%

Two out of three Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

If you read that article, you not only see that there were some clear reasons they started doing the poly (applicants admitting to ties to drug cartels) but also that ICE, another DHS agency, does not use the poly.

Some interesting additional comments, worth the read. And it just came out today... maybe they read this blog :grinning:

Have you heard of USCIS using polygraphs

I myself have not, but that article I posted in my previous post said that ICE (also part of DHS) does not use the poly. So if that is correct, and ICE doesn't use it for its 1811 Special Agents, I can't see USCIS using it.

Would love to see their process and what they consider unresolved.