DCSA Wage Determination

For the sake of argument, if it were illegal as you say, to make public to other employees performance data, and this is why such information is listed using SIDs and not investigator’s names, why then does the company not take more precautions to keep SIDs private? When leaving a case message an investigator’s SID is shown on the case message along with the investigator’s full name and contact phone number. If metrics were an issue that needed to be kept private then SIDs would be more closely guarded and not freely listed as a signature that goes out to all staff assigned to the same case. Cite a federal law that prohibits an employee’s metrics from being posted and I will stand corrected. Also, there are actual performance evaluations done that are separate from the metrics.

Just because you say there is no “law” against sharing an employees performance data with other employees doesn’t mean a labor lawyer could not take this issue to court who successfully argue and win this in court. Privacy laws (as all laws can) can be interpreted and argued in many ways. Any labor lawyer will tell you that ALL employees have an expectation that their work performance is kept confidential. Sometimes ethical decisions on privacy can bode well for a company in the long run and not so well in a lawsuit.

3 Likes

Just cause you say it’s legal…doesn’t make it so. Interpretation, expectation, and discretion of application all play into it. The “spirit” of employee privacy laws most certainly varies state to state.

2 Likes

State to state is correct!

Great idea. Why does review routinely ask us to add a developed work from home job location and RTUC it with the required “work location at home no sources obtained/expected” Inote? Then we spend hours and hours tracking down and scheduling sources across the country for their “in person” interviews. We’ve done all the hard work for someone else’s source unit credit.

4 Likes

Become an IC. No metrics for timeliness or quality.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

Lol, “any” lawyer was not quoted or cited. Throwing out a general reference of “any” lawyer does not strengthen an argument. Of course lawyers can argue both sides, that is how our judicial system is set up and the reason why we have attorneys for the plaintiffs and the respondent, the mere fact that an attorney argues a side does not strengthen your argument either. If this were a law, it would be a state law and therefore not relevant to the entire country and only relevant to the specific state of question. Federal laws (that would apply to the whole country) are not as vast as many people believe. For there to be a Federal law it has to fit a set of parameters to meet jurisdictional requirements. The federal government cannot just start making laws about whatever they choose. I will let y’all Google that topic since is can get pretty detailed and involved. The article you quoted not only did not specifically say it was illegal to post metrics and just leaned more towards the ethics of it, but even if it had, who cares what some .com has to say about it? When I say quote a law and I will stand corrected, the opinion of an internet article writer is not only irrelevant but not reputable. This article mentions the expectation of privacy on things that are publicly posted for government positions all the time so it must not be “illegal”. Like pay for example, look up the OPM LEO schedule and it will give you the pay for all the officers you may interview at the BOP. Do they have the expectation of privacy? The original person I was responding to was talking about legalities and not ethics, and went as far to say if a name was used to post the metrics it would be a “one way ticket to financial retirement”. The situation is obviously not that cut and dry. While I think it is poor form to throw an employee who may be struggling out in front of their peers, posting metrics (which are not performance evaluations) is not illegal.

I have worked for Peraton for eight years and investigators bring up getting credit for write offs all the time and management has done nothing.

The nuances of words and interpretation of documents are different for everyone. I don’t expect my manager to send out an email telling everyone I’m on a performance improvement plan and I don’t expect my manager to send out an email telling everyone my performance statistics data for the month. I classify both information as personal performance data and expect privacy with both. You don’t expect that same privacy. A jury or judge might side with me or they might side with you.

1 Like

I really want/like the 401K option as an employee and I don’t see how IC’s make any money without any reimbursements. Don’t you have to keep track of all the source units you do anyhow just to make sure they are paying your correctly? Cause you know they are going to try to short change you every chance you get.

First off, I’m not much for posting here. The BOP may not be the best example. They have a union and have A LOT of privacy and protections. My biggest question would be why would any company want to call out any of their investigators on a performance level and share it with other employees? That only serves to degrade and humiliate. It’s unconscionable. Maybe that type of management distracts from doing the job of making sure someone is not copying and downloading and then sharing sensitive State secrets on line. This should not even be a conversation.

1 Like

I agree that it is not good management. I would not personally advocate that management style. My discussion was in reference to legality. BOP was one of many examples that could be used when talking about expectations of privacy and pay which is what I was referencing in the article provided to discredit the author and show that using reputable sources is necessary when arguing a point. For information pertaining to HR issues the EEOC website and the DOL website are great resources for factual information and not hearsay or opinions.

CACI does NOT use SIDS when they email us the performance data. Each investigator is assigned a special name and we are not to share our performance information with each other. For example, the section lead will use a category such as animals and you may be assigned a name such as “koala bear” for your metrics while others on your team will have names such as “meerkat”, “lemur”.

Lol, I want a code name too! I also work for CACI and my SL does not do that. In fact for our check rides we had to be evaluated by mentors instead of our SL due to distance. The performance is not as hush hush across the board as it is within some individual teams.

In reality CACI should give their investigators names like Dirt, Idiot, Moron, Fool because that is what they really think of them.

5 Likes

@Weeble source units are automatically calculated when PIPS replicates every day. Invoicing is a piece of cake. The biggest issue with being an IC is not being paid for Subject Re-Contact’s in almost every scenario, lengthy efforts required just to write off something as an unsuccessful lead for a measly $15.00, and having to negotiate premiums to cover mileage and travel to and from in person interviews.

All of the other headaches you have to deal with as an IC is small potatoes compared to the grind and constant harassment by Field Managers or Section Lead’s that haven’t worked a case in decades or some management that have never worked a case in their entire life.

2 Likes

Lol is this real?? Truly absurd and very specific to your own team.

2 Likes

When I worked for CACI, we used SIDS, and not code names. And yes, our section lead was several states away so we (the mentors) did all the check rides for our team. No privacy whatsoever.

I see a few people have mentioned going IC to reduce the pressure to perform. I realize that means giving up benefits, but gaining more control over my time. Is anyone willing to share current rates of pay by item? Even just averages, without necessarily naming companies?
TIA

IC Rates vary depending upon vendor. DCSA vendors typically pay $250.00 for an ESI, $60.00 for source interview, and $30.00 for records.

No mileage or travel compensation however so premiums have to be negotiated.

There are many other IC vendors and even federal agencies that provide hourly rates ranging from $35.00 per hour to $60.00 per hour. Some vendors and agencies even provide travel and mileage compensation.

1 Like