Do you think people should be allowed to pay for their own security clearance?

We all know that the clearance is part of the job. So no job requirement, then no clearance. But picture this: People pay to get their own clearance sponsored to increase their job prospects. Even if someone pays for their own clearance process and gets the clearance, it isn’t like there is any threat to national security because that person would not have access to any classified information yet. They would just have a security clearance that they can put on their resume to increase their marketability for jobs. If this was allowed, I would pay for my own clearance for sure. Thoughts?

The subject of an investigation cannot be the customer as well and maintain impartiality, that is not how things work in any field. There has to be a division to avoid a conflict.

5 Likes

People paying or sponsoring themselves for a clearance would create a backlog deeper than what already exists. Why should agencies/investigators spend time investigating an individual when there is no job requirement in place for that individual to possess a clearance? I could also see companies (contractors) being in a position where they would want an individual to sponsor their own clearance, thus eliminating anyone who did not have the means to do so, even if they possess the job skills/experience.

Does not sound like a good idea to me.

Would you pay $10,000 for a clearance? $20,000?

5 Likes

Yes, I would pay $10,000 or $20,000 for a clearance. I am rich. LOL. No, I am not rich. However, I have done well financially and in if paying $10K or $20K for a clearance will guarantee me a $200K job, well, I can do the math and figure out the break-even point . . .