Family member paid me to help me once with their business, how do I report it?

My reinvestigation is due, and I had a question about reporting some of the work. Essentially, my mom was moving her business between locations, and I helped her out with during nights and weekends. (My fulltime job is a software developer working remotely) I was mostly helping with cleaning stuff, moving boxes, and driving her around, and setting up a computer. This was for about two weeks last year. I didn’t get expect or ask to be paid, but she gave me some money for it so I’m trying to figure out how to report it for my SF85.

Were you an employee or just helping your mom out? Just because your mom gave you money does not mean an activity needs to be reported as “employment”. Is there an employment record? Were taxes deducted? Did you fill out a W4? I help my mom with activities and my mom gives me money on occasion and this has not been reported because it is not an employment, it is a family relationship. If this was an employment then by all means, report it, but do not overthink the question.

1 Like

She paid me enough I reported it on my taxes as extra income. It’s kind of a nebulous thing where, I considered it helping family, but she gave me money and I don’t want it to seem like I’m omitting something if it comes up.

But I also kind of need to do a sanity check if I’m over thinking it. Filling out all the forms makes me way more anxious than it probably needs to lol.

“IF” this was an employment then you would list it under the business your mom has. You mentioned you were doing work for the business. I am assuming this is a non-government employment so that would be the “type” then put the employer address as the location where the employment record is kept and the work site location as the place you physically worked. You will list your onsite supervisor who I assume is your mother. If you do list this as an employment you will need to explain in your interview how you were able to work two jobs without a time conflict.

If you are the recipient of gifted money, you do not need to pay taxes on the gift. However, your mother needs to report on her taxes.

“ The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax. Under special arrangements the donee may agree to pay the tax instead. Please visit with your tax professional if you are considering this type of arrangement”

Your mother can be exempted from paying taxes on the gift if it is under certain limit, I think it is 15K or something, per year.