Financial support for any foreign national

On SF86 there is a question “Have you EVER provided financial support for any foreign national?” to which I replied NO but I do send money back home on my fathers behalf about $500 cash every year through Western Union. My father who is also a US citizen send this money as a gift to his nephews. This is in our culture. I have a Secret clearance interview coming next week should I clarify this to the Investigative officer since I replied NO on the form. Do they check my records against companies like Western Union and Moneygram.

1 Like

There’s no check against Western Union or MoneyGram . . . This isn’t the Soviet Union. They can’t just gather records from businesses to use against you.

Are you saying that you send money for your father? That it’s HIS money? If so, I would bring it up at the start of my interview. It shouldn’t turn into an issue. If some of the money was yours, you answered the question incorrectly. This still isn’t a problem just bring it up at the start. People make mistakes on the SF86 all of the time. We’re not perfect.

In either case, sending $500 to your nephews shouldn’t be an issue. This isn’t “support” . . . More of a gift.

LOL, “This isn’t the USSR”

He sends his money to his father and then his father sends the money to the nephews that are in another country that are not friendly to the U.S.

I think this is what the OP is trying to say.

I think this is solid advice. The OP should be ok if they bring up this topic immediately at the beginning of the interview. Don’t make it look like you are hiding something.

I sent money cash via Western union using my account. But this is my father’s money
which I am sending on his behalf. He sent this money as gift to his nephews living in India about $500 every year. My father is also US citizen and lives with me. Should I disclose this in the interview next week with the investigator. This is for Secret clearance.
On sf86 I declare that I don’t support any foreigner If I mention this now in the interview the investigator might be suspicious.

Any update on this? I kinda have the same problem

I have been told security clearance investigators check and have tracing access to all financial support platforms.

We do not have access to Western Union or Money Gram. If a deposit/withdrawal is made at a bank, and it is over a specific amount, that will show up on a report. Think large gambling winnings, privately sold a car/house, parents gave a large monetary gift to adult child…amounts of those types. $500 is not going to show up as a flag.

Do security clearance investigators reviews bank statements and creditcard statements? I was only able to retrieve bank and credit card statements for only the past 5 years. My financial institutions was adamant about providing me only 5 years of statements.

In my personal experience (nearly 20 years in the field) I have never pulled or asked for a Subject to provide bank statements or credit card statements. If the client (federal customer) were to ask for that we would request it. The only time I can imagine having a person provide statements is if they were providing that documentation to dispute an item in collections or one showing as unpaid.

I personally had an issue where I voluntarily submitted copies of cleared checks, along with bank statements (non-relevant information blacked out) to prove that an outstanding debt had been paid in full. To be brutally clear this was a HUGE (10s of thousands) debt incurred by my now ex spouse, did not show up on my credit report, but I was still responsible for making payments. I volunteered the information and the proof of payment.

In the Section 20 - Foreign Activities Why is the question "Have you ever provided financial support for any foreign national different then the question has any foriegn national in the past seven years provided advice or support to any individuals associated with a foreign business or other foreign organization that you have not previously listed as a former employer? Some questions are time specific and others are not. But they are all questions concerning Foreign Activities.

Would that be the same protocol if you was investigating a security clearance holder that had a extensive foreign travel history?

This should be reported as the money is coming from your account, even if it is from your father, and is being sent to India, which is a heightened risk country. You should be upfront about it so it is not discovered later and leave people thinking you were hiding it.

I am not certain what protocol you are referencing. This thread was discussing financial transactions and providing assistance to foreign nationals.

Discussing foreign travel is normal during the course of any investigation. The time frame, countries visited, and other criteria would determine the depth of the discussion.

I apologize for including foreign travel in the financial support for foreign national discussion. The protocol i was speaking of is the pulling of bank and credit card statements. This is not the normal process when evaluating financial support for foreign national? A government agency pulled my credit report over a year ago. I am assuming i am enrolled in the continuing vetting program.

After discovering my credit report was pulled by a government entity more than a year ago i notified my security officer requesting details about the inquiry on my credit report and he confirmed that I am enrolled in the continuing vetting program. Will the continuing vetting program notified my agency security concerns about my possible foreign preference activities? Foriegn travel, Financial issues, drugs issues? Etc etc?