Fired due to performance issues and not disclosing it on SF85P

I worked in IT. In Jan 2023 while on Secret Clearance I was fired due to performance issues after a 3 weeks performance improvement period. My current job requires a Public Trust Clearance (SF85P Tier 4 high risk). I didn’t disclose about firing on SF85P. In interview last month for Public Trust the investigator caught me and I confessed. He said he is not the Adjudicator but it does not look good on me. What are my chances should I quit my job and ask the company to withdraw my application. If I am denied Public Trust will I also lose my Secret (SF86) which is coming up for 5 year PR in one month. Shouldn’t have lied @sbusquirrel @Marko please help

As I understand it, you are no longer using your Secret correct? That means it probably went inactive. They will not reinvestigate an inactive clearance. Also, you may have been on CE so then they wouldn’t reinvestigate anyway. However, if you try to re-activate it for a new job within a year, then you may have a problem. Time should heal it. I wouldn’t just quit. But I’m not an expert so will defer to the real experts.

As I wrote in the article below, not disclosing it is what will get you. Depends on how the agency reviewing your case will look at it, as well as the fact you are in a high risk PT position. No one can tell you which way it will go, each case is based on it’s own merit:

Thanks @Marko for the reply. The investigator told me sometimes the Adjudicator leave the final decision at the mercy of the Sponsoring Govt agency (Dept of Commerce in my case) also in case if it’s denied will I also lose my Secret Clearance.

If you are no longer working for the agency that granted the clearance then you do not have an active Secret.

It is still Active I have checked with my FSO because the last time I used Secret was 1 year ago. It only becomes Inactive if not used for 2 years.

You clearance goes inactive when your agency reports you no longer need it. Sometimes there is a delay updating the system. It’s also possible the FSO misread it. It’s very unlikely that they didn’t report you not needing it. Once it goes inactive, you have 2 years to reactivate it.

When a new employer goes to take over the “jurisdiction” of your secret clearance, they may very well see a status of “UNADJUDICATED INFORMATION” due to the incident with your recent investigation. This basically means you would need a new investigation, which means you could not be put to work immediately… and that would make it harder to find a new position.

But as the investigator said, he is not the adjudicator. Wait and see what happens… and based on recent reports on this forum, it may take a few months.

so @sbusquirrel if one is denied Public Trust with one agency (Dept of Commerce in my case) I will also lose my Active Secret (DOD)

I don’t know for sure, but it sounds like the kind of thing that could prevent a new employer from easily picking up your secret clearance.

1 Like

Yeah thats the whole deal here…can the public trust you. In this case, a fair argument can be made you hide information. It isnt getting fired tgat matters. That happens. A lot. Many times not due to misconduct. Best to acceot it, own it. It gets grey and slippery when one feels painted into a corner and resigns…but if they did…and a reasonable argument can be made it wasnt done in the face of firing…it depends. And those situations gappen all kinds of great workers, every day. If you pull back the request…and it shows as unadjudicated info…which comes from any agency beginning a background check…then you have to own up falsifying gov paperwork.

1 Like

This 100%. Even getting fired for cause doesn’t automatically disqualify you. Unless you did something illegal, disclose it and explain the circumstances. That honest answer will usually score you more points than the firing will cost you.