GDIT laying off many employees on BI contract

What does this mean for new people trying to get clearance or those getting to ready go through reinvestigation? Are they people getting let go investigators, adjudicators, or both? Will this impact the quality of the investigation such as auto rejection instead of extra effort on whole person concept?

There is always a rumorā€¦one is that only 2 contractors will be accepted by DCSA. Is this a possibility? An article said 6000 contract employees. All this keeps me up at night.

1 Like

Which article addressed there will be 6000 contract employees under DCSA?

Hereā€™s the article name: Salient CRGT Awarded OPM Contract for CASE Processing Operations. I am wondering more about how many contractors. That one I only heard.

I have heard this rumor as well! I also heard Keypoint was leaving the contract 10/1

ā€œThe EO also gave DSS a new name ā€“ the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency ā€“ and it was tasked to take over all background investigations work this coming autumn. The transfer 3,300 OPM employees and 6,000 contractors to the DoD is on track for completion, and October 1, both investigators ā€“ and PIPS ā€“ will make the move to DCSA.ā€

Hereā€™s the article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.clearancejobs.com/2019/06/28/salient-crgt-awarded-opm-contract-for-case-processing-operations/amp/

3 Likes

I spoke this past week with 2 reviewers just hired by Perspecta, which is Key point. Why are they hiring?

Well who knows. They have nothing posted on their site about hiring investigators. Sadly, I still have not received any response from the other contract companies. It makes you wonder especially being an experienced investigator. Anyone out there had any luckā€¦or for that matter any response beyond having them tell you to send your resume?

Maybe they are waiting to see what the new workload will be?

1 Like

Thor may be correct. Although 4th in workload, GDITā€™s exit still probably unbalanced the transition plans, which were reliant on cases clearing which have lots of points of fail when NOT poked with a stick. No one may know how cases will be assigned, so everyone is holding assets, and not moving until the workload is assessed and assigned. Hopefully, this is not a Titanic ending. May be Logans Run-ish. Somewhat better.

So itā€™s workload, a FI friend got turned down. Heā€™s talented, so that clarifies the situation. Thank you, and congratulations on finding something!

This must be new. Last I heard, Perspecta didnā€™t have contractors.

I know that KGS/Perspecta has had contractors since the end of USIS. Maybe not in CA, but definitely most everywhere else.

I thought they had sub contractors, 1Force.

1 Like

Yes and independent contractors (must set up LLC).

Mike Green

2 Likes

You would have to check the particulars, but I think the contract dictates that a large percentage of the work goes to contractors with a set percentage to subcontractors. I donā€™t have the exact numbers or a citeā€¦this is where all you FIs dispute me.

I donā€™t know how these service contracts work, but on development contracts there is always some kind of work-share agreement where the prime gets a certain percentage and the subs get a certain percentage, and everyone is always trying to push the limits.

1 Like

Was hired by CSRA/GDIT three months before I got off of active duty Navy (started on 6/2018 after completing the training, left active duty 4/2018, hired 1/2018) and was affected by the layoff two months ago on 7/3/19. Was a part of one of their subcontractors for a month before I was told that they were ending that contract as well. So technically Iā€™ve been out of a BI job since 8/29 (credentials turned in, everything.) Applied to SCIS but havenā€™t heard anything back yet. I donā€™t feel confident about pursuing the contract investigator 1099 position at all. My personal financial situation is a bit shaky (aka regular debt). Iā€™ll have to reapply to CACI as a level one investigator since Iā€™m sure my SID number is not active anymore. GDIT had extended an offer to be a subcontractor on another contract, but I turned it down due to my financial situation.

Perspecta and some of the other companies I applied to or looked into only looking for contract investigators. I really loved being a BI, but these issues going within the field on get to be a bit discouraging.

But quick question: did anyone here ever balance the 1099 BI position with a job in another field? I worked as a security guard prior to joining the Navy years ago when I went for my Associates degree in Criminal Justice, but I never heard of anyone really balancing a job like that with a 1099 BI position, though. Sounds strange, but in the end, I need to think about how Iā€™m going to pay off this remaining debt I have as opposed to having a 1099 position with debt that I can hardly pay off and hours that are not guaranteed.

Good luck to everyone affected by the layoff!

1 Like

Maybe look into private investigator positions? I know a guy who is a 1099 BI but heā€™s also a licensed private investigator and seems to be able to balance both pretty well

1 Like

Just curios, why didnā€™t you take the subcontract work until something else came along? It looks better to have zero gaps in employment.

I thought about working as a 1099 contractor along with a second job. I was making decent money at the BI job, give or take $4500 a month. However, the work hours were crazy. I was working way more than 40 hours a week.

Then I noticed something. This backlog didnā€™t seem to exist. Sure there were some really old cases (never touched those, left those for the hourly employees because they were always a mess) but most of the cases I was working were less than 6 months old. Some were a month old. That worried me, if they hired a bunch of people to clear a backlog, and said backlog is gone, do they need all these workers?

Some things happened in my life and my financial needs changed. I was able to get a a part time job, making decent money for the work. I thought about keeping the 1099 job, working both. Could brief cases around the part time job. But then I thought about the stress of the BI job. Didnā€™t need it. Also, was worried about the backlog that, IMO, was going away very fast and decided I didnā€™t need the stress.

Enjoying being semi-retired and spending time with the family.