How long to keep reporting prostitution on SF86?

Reposting from reddit. Hello everyone, posting about something I’ve previously posted here(man does time fly). I have a question about something NOT on the SF86 but is under SEAD4. So I did my secret investigation back in 2021. During that I put in the additional comments section at the bottom about my history visiting prostitutes which started in 2013 and stopped in late 2016, and going to a counselor for it. Talked it over with the investigator and never heard anything back about it. The question I have is that since there’s no specific question about it how long do I need/should to keep reporting it on my SF86? I feel like not including it would look weird after I did report it. Asking because I recently read a post where a guy answered a IC security questionaire about visiting prostitutes 15 years prior and them freaking out about it not being on his SF86.

The reason I added it was because a psychologist at a IC agency said I was lying about there not being a question about prostitution and that she was adding a note for the investigating agency to follow up. This was a different investigation to the 2021 investigation and I lost the CJO because I wasn’t able to get behavioral health records in time.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Well, if you already reported it once, then it is there on file. Since 2016 is within the 10-year scope of the SF86, just write it down again just to CYA.

I would have told you never to report it in the first place. If you were never caught by the police and your friends don’t know about this, then the investigators would never find out unless you tell them. Honesty is not always good. You have to play the game. It is best to keep undisclosed indiscretions to yourself unless you wait to raise more flags in your security clearance process. I know people that have committed murder but they were never caught or it occurred outside of the US, and they have TS/SCI with poly.

1 Like

Larry,

You are the problem with this country. No integrity. I pray that mentality bites you hard on the a** one day.

From an unapologetic investigator

3 Likes

HR2C,

Your comment is received. You have to admit that there is a system in place for these security clearances. When a candidate makes a disqualifying admission, whether to an investigator during the security clearance interview or during a polygraph, they are eliminated from the process. Confessions will sink an applicant’s potential cleared-career. Do you not agree?

From Larry the Cable Guy

Figured this would be the case, fortunately I have plenty of mitigating circumstances. Went to a licensed therapist, been several years since the last time, and told my spouse. I’m not worried about it reporting it, just wondering if anyone had any idea of how to proceed given there’s no question on it. Much appreciated

Larry

Most of the “advice” you give here is questionable at best, outright wrong at times.

“you have to play the game” Bull hockey.

The clearance process is not perfect. However, your mentality of “if you don’t tell them, they’ll never find out” is morally wrong. It’s also something (lying on a federal form, lie of omission) that can get you debarred from federal employment. HR2C is right, you have no integrity, you only want what is best for you, not what is best for the country.

Original poster. You disclosed it in your previous investigation. In my humble opinion, bring it up during your interviews, even if you don’t find a specific question on the SF86 that asks about it. You can say that you already disclosed it, you discussed it, just wanted to bring it up in the interest of full transparency. The investigator may have some follow up questions, and you have covered your bases.

3 Likes

Bumping as I see it was made into an article.(Hey Katie!)

I just got approved for interim TS. And yes I did disclose it on my latest SF86.

Isn’t knowing that someone committed murder and not reporting that person to the proper authorities a crime?

2 Likes

That could be an accessory after the fact.

1 Like

Just answer the questions directly asked on the SF 86 and answer them fully and without omission. I don’t see the need to divulge information not specifically asked on the form. What direct question are you worried about forcing you to disclose this on the SF86?

Did they say that it was specifically not answered on the security form, or that it wasn’t disclosed during your background investigation/interview? Because there is no question on the SF86 that would request information that would require disclosing prostitution if you weren’t arrested, but there ARE additional questions that we ask during the interview itself where that would be disclosed, which are additional adjudicative questions.

ETA: I would keep it on your form since you already disclosed it before.