ICE - HOMELAND SECURITY CONTRACTOR FITNESS/SECURITY SCREENING Chapter 13

Sorry if this question has been answered already, I’ve been reading some posts on this site and just wanted a little extra information, thank you for helping out.

I recently got hired as a contractor and my employer said I need to complete this public trust background check and so I got this form to fill out.

I asked if a chapter 13 would automatically disqualify me, and the answer was that they just send in the paperwork and it comes back either approved or not. Is that true, and if it doesn’t get approved, what steps to take to try and resolve? Is there more to the process for public trust clearance and this ICE contractor Fitness Security Clearance?

Is there anyone to call/email as DOHS to discuss this with? I wasn’t sure of what the steps would be to try and help resolve anything that comes up.

thank you

Welcome to the site. I’m not an investigator so take this with a grain of salt and one of the investigators on here can give you a much better answer.

First point, Public Trust is not a security clearance. While background checks are part of it, they do not do the additional vetting that comes with a Security Clearance.
Second, while your finances can impact your eligibility, they are not considered in a vacuum. All those questions on the form are designed to get context so they can decide how trustworthy you are. If your answers show a blatant disregard for your financial health or show some shady activities, they will not trust you. If they show that you had a legit reason for your chapter 13 and are not likely to repeat it, then chances are they won’t give it much weight.
Finally, yes, that sounds about right. As I understand it, usually, the company collects your form and sends it to the investigators who do all the background checks and provide the results to your company.

Again, you will want to look for one of the investigators like @Weeble or @backgdinvestigator to respond.

Hope that helps.

@clearedrob - thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the input. I guess what concerns me is that there wasn’t anything on the form expect my personal information such as DOB, SSN, Place of birth - that was it ( along with some consent forms) So, I guess that’s why I was worried - there wasn’t any place to put answers/comments about credit history or chapter 13 or why. Also, my employer said they just wait to hear back after they send in the paperwork. I wasn’t sure if that just automatically comes back as failed or if I have the opportunity to tell I’m in chapter 13 and trying to get everything cleared up.

Thanks again

All I can recall is that there are two types of bankruptcy, Chapter 7 and Chapter 13, and one of them basically wipes out all your debt while the other one tries to work out payment plans. The one that wipes out all your debt attract more scrutiny, whereas they can be a little more tolerant with the approach that tries to make some payments.

Time heals all wounds, including financial woes, so the more time you can put between yourself and the bankruptcy the better… assuming no more financial issues in the meantime.

Former BI here, but not an adjudicator. You want to be prepared if they come back with questions about your Chap 13. Depends on how long ago it was.

So pull your documentation; Be prepared to answer when it happened, why it happened. What steps you took prior to filing (work out payment plans with creditors?) All of your assets/debts should be listed in your bankruptcy paperwork. Also the details of your payment plan…how much? when did payments begin? have payments been on time each month? Did you complete any financial courses (budgeting, credit awareness, etc) and did you complete the payment plan (or intend to). What steps have you taken ensure you do not have this issue going forward?

All those questions, and additional ones would be something an investigator would want to know.

And of course, can your chap 13 be used against you as blackmail? Who is aware of it?

Thanks for your reply. So quick question on that, does that mean there will be an investigator calling me for a follow up? I wasn’t sure on that, since the form was really basic and only asked for SSN, DOB, and place of birth - there wasn’t anything else except consent forms.

With that said, I’m currently in a payment plan now and haven’t missed any payments. The reason was due to credit card debt (which that’s a whole other long story about regarding loss of income/decrease in salary and also paying child support and using cash to do that while using credit cards to pay bills, groceries, etc. - and also helping my ex-wife during an extreme time of need with financial hard times due to her daughter from her new marriage got cancer, so many factors really) and needing to consolidate everything - yes I did try to ask the creditors for payment plans, which was declined. And yes I have taken the classes for budgeting and credit awareness.

Thanks for the help

They’ll ask about anything that comes up in their investigation that needs context or explanation. Sounds like you have a bunch of stuff they might ask about since it sounds like it’s still an active situation. As @SMCVA said, you will want to have all your explanations and documentation ready just in case (esp with how complex it all sounds). Ex: that “whole other long story,” anything out of the ordinary with the divorce, why you’re providing additional financial support for your wife beyond alimony even, after she’s gotten married again, while you’re struggling with your own finances (they will ask if they think it seems like it’s affecting your own solvency), when you took your budgeting classes, etc. They might ask about any, all or none of these.

I don’t know exactly how it works with DHS contractors. Often federal contractors have their employees (or employment candidates) complete a one- or two-page form like an OF306, if the employee needs a Moderate Risk (MR) or High Risk (HR) Public Trust (PT) position. The contractor sends the completed form to the federal agency and the federal agency sends the employee or candidate instructions for accessing e-QIP or eApp (online security questionnaire) and filling out a Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (Standard Form 85P—SF85P). The SF85P will have detailed questions about jobs, schools, residences, finances, criminal conduct, etc. The Tier 4 investigation for a HRPT position is much more involved than the Tier 3 for a Secret clearance. The Tier 4 includes an interview (ESI) of the applicant by an investigator. The Tier 2 for an MRPT is only slightly less involved as the Tier 3. An ESI can be added to a Tier 2 if necessary to resolve any potentially disqualifying information. It’s also possible that you only need a Tier 1 investigation for an HSPD-12 credential or PIV (Personal Identity Verification) card for access to federal facilities or computer systems.

yes, there was a lot going on. However, just wanted to reply and say that I helped because her 3 year old daughter got cancer. I stayed very close with my ex wife and her family, I felt like helping them with this life changing catastrophe was better than having bad credit.

thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate the feedback and help with all of this

I personally understand that but you have to see it through the eyes of the adjudicator. They could potentially see this as:
You’re in financial trouble because you’re careless about your finances which makes you a risk to accept bribes, or worse, you are being blackmailed/extorted. Point being, make sure you have all your documentation ready to support your explanations. Best of luck.