I'm somewhat worried...Help

Hello folks, posting this question after carefully reading through all of the refereces this board provides. However, my case is a bit “complicated”; so I’d very much appreciate some candid thoughts about my prospects of obtaining a top-security clearance.

I was born in Illinois, and have resided in the US for two and a half years now, where I desire to live permamently. Both of my parents are Mexican nationals (so that makes me a Mexican citizen as well).

I have some family in the US (Texas & Illinois) but my immediate family resides in Mexico, my sister she’s a dual American-Mexican national herself. I was born in the US because at the time my parents wished to join parts of their family in the US, but ultimately decided against it due to financial reasons and returned to Mexico where I resided for 21 years. I migrated over to Texas upon completing my mech engineering degree in Mexico.

My dad’s a musician, and has had a Visa to work in the US for 20 years now, my mom, works at the local airport (she also has a Visa).

**My family has no ties to the Mexican government or any illegal organization in any shape, way or form.so that does NOT create any risk whatsoever of foreign exploitaition, manipulation or inducement.
I have never been involved in any type of illegal activity, neither in the U.S nor Mexico,other than Torrent downloading of books and videogames, I should’ve known better, **extremely ahsamed of that.
**I’m unmarried, and don’t have any children.
**I’ve never done any drugs (including weed, alcohol, tobacco).
**I hold no other passport other than the American one.
**I never voted in any Mexican election, nor did I serve in the Mexican military service.
**At 18, I registered in the Selective Service.
**I’m willing to give up my Mexican citizenship, if required.
**I have been very active in voluntary service within the community of Tx.
10. I worked 1 year in Mexico in a US national company, Cummins Inc. before completing my degree.

I wish to sponsor my parents for a green card shortly.

I’m trilingual in Spanish and French, guess that’s considered an asset normally .At 24, I wish to serve as a Pilot Officer in the Air Force or Navy but, I understand that obtaining a security clearance will be my biggest hurdle. You might not agree with birthright citizenship in general, but I see myself as an American and as such, feel incredibly blessed to have been born in the US. I’ve been seeing several cases in which people were denied the clearence due to Foreign Influence and or Preference

What are some necessary steps I should take in order to increase my chances? I know I have listed some mitigating factors. I have about a yeas until my clearance process starts. Have you guys interviewed/ ivestigated people with a similar background such as mine?

Many thanks in advance!

-Badger.

1 Like

I’m not a clearance professional nor am I a background investigator, but I’ve heard of cases of naturalized citizens (I understand that this isn’t the same as dual-citizenship) originally from China being able to get Top Secret clearance at my place of work (DOD installation).

Based on that information and your clean background, I’d say that your chances of being able to get a clearance are pretty reasonable as long as you’d be willing to renounce your Mexican citizenship.

2 Likes

It’s always easier being a sole US citizen. If you’ve never had a Mexican passport or voted or participated in any Mexican citizen activities or have no plans to do so…chances are you can proclaim yourself sole US and go from there. If your parents/immediate relatives are undocumented it may be a small glitch but be open and honest about the situation and remember financial issues are the most common reasons for denial!

1 Like

Why wait to give up the dual citizenship? You will be asked this during an interview.

Why sponsor a foreign national? You will be asked this as well.

I ask these two basic questions with the understanding that you wish to obtain a security clearance but don’t act as if you really want it.

There’s this element of somewhat passive aggressive naivety - for lack of better phrasing.

Your situation isn’t complicated- your response to it is being filled with superlative details that lead you to believe it’s complicated.

You’ll need to decide what’s most important - continually supporting foreign nationalism or obtaining a security clearance.

1 Like

I’ve worked many cases with similar information. You honestly don’t have much to worry about here. Yes your case will be a bit more complicated and there may be more hurdles you need to jump through, but ultimately the situation as you’ve described it shouldn’t be an issue.

You are an American citizen by birth in the US. You will have to list your dual citizenship with Mexico on your paperwork. You say you don’t have a Mexican passport, but the question there also includes “foreign ID cards” so if you have a Mexican drivers license, for example, that would be required to be listed.

You’ll be required to list all foreign contacts. This includes both friends and extended family that are not US citizens, regardless of where they are living. If you have friends or family who are undocumented immigrants, BE HONEST about it. That’s the most important thing. It will want to know their citizenship information, current address, etc. (Different requirements for immediate family members than for extended family or friends). You’ll have to report where the foreign contacts work, what their address is, how often you have contact with them, etc. Do not just leave it blank because you’re not sure. If it’s someone you speak to with any regularity, the investigator is going to want you to find the information out, as it is reasonably expected that you would be able to do so.

If you want to sponsor your parents that’s obviously your choice. I have no inclination one way or the other as far as the implications of that, but I highly doubt it would be an issue. It’s not like you’re sponsoring a bunch of random people you don’t know. Again, be honest about what you’re doing and why and it shouldn’t be a problem.

If you’ve worked for foreign companies (aka while living in Mexico) you’ll have to answer some questions about that.

The bottom line is that you will have to jump through some extra hoops and answer a ton more questions than someone who isn’t in your position, but as long as you’re forthcoming and honest you shouldn’t have an issue.

Also, just a personal note- I appreciate your love for this country! I’m right there with ya…

5 Likes

I’m in a Similar situation @Honey_Badger177 how did it turn out? Instead, I am a sole US Citizen. I am a bit worried about my undocumented parents, but I want to work for a contractor and love this country.

I am an investigator and have been working on security clearance investigations for military flight students for several years. I have worked several cases over the years for Subjects who were not born in the U.S. If everything you have stated is accurate, then you should not have any problems obtaining a clearance. You may however, be required to renounce your citizenship with Mexico.

1 Like