Interim Pending vs Declined

What is the difference between Interim Pending and Interim Declined?

My understanding is they are the same, the Interim is not granted and a full investigation must take place.

I ask because I answered yes to question 21 and this is my only "black" mark. No drugs, no debt, 2 addresses in the last 16 years, no arrests, no tickets, never been fired, no travel to Cuba/Russia/Yemen/etc...

With the statement from the Secretary of Defense 2 years back that applicants should not be denied Interim clearance solely on question 21; I am trying to get a grasp on why I was not granted an Interim.

You have not been denied a clearance, but rather the agency adjudicating your application has declined to waive the investigation process before granting you eligibility. This is not uncommon and a lot depends on the agency,the position and the circumstances.

Marko,

thank you for the quick response.

I wanted to make sure that your understanding is the same as mine.

A Pending Interim clearance means I must wait for a full investigation to be completed before I can begin working on-site. A Denied Interim Clearance means I must wait for a full investigation to be completed before I can begin working on-site.

My understanding is then, they are the same thing with different names. The impact to me and the company is the same.

Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Pending means exactly that, the decision to grant an interim is pending and the investigation is still in progress. Denied means the full investigation must be completed and favorably adjudicated before a clearance can be granted. Either way, you do not have a clearance.