Moving On from FI

Hey whattodo I’m got on doing some 1099 work with Unicycle and various other contracts and I also went and obtained my EEO investigator Certification which has opened up an whole new world of investigations EEO is intresting and I just got an interview for a gig…all interviews are done over the phone. A few vendors like FDIC, USPS they want in person but as with BI work not a big deal from what I’m told. Good luck

1 Like

How does the process work to get into EEO case work? Did you a pay for the certification course then apply? Also where do you apply? Does EEO use contract companies and if so which ones? If they don’t use contractor companies do they use 1099 and full time, or just 1099? I looked up EEO website but I didn’t see much about hiring Investigators. Have you seen any Investigator jobs requiring a PI License? I also have an active TS. Thanks, any information is appreciated.

That’s great I actually applied for EEO jobs but they wanted experience. I looked up getting certified but all the classes I saw required an employer sponsorship.

1 Like

Well the real eeo investigator jobs wont even lok at you without the cert. Also the training is out of pocket and the prices vary depending on who you go with I’ve see some from $2200 down to $795 but trust me I paid on the lower end and it is definitely worth it. Since it’s technically 1099 work you can only apply for contracts on certain websites that wont be advertised to the public whoever you train with once training is complete they will sent you links etc.

1 Like

You mentioned the jobs you applied for required an employer sponsorship. Does it give specific employers for sponsorship or any employer? Does it look like you have to get hired by a company who refers you to the training?

I’ve looked into EEOC work from these contract companies and the pay is bottom of the barrel. About $800.00 per case as a beginner Investigator and the cases can take anywhere from 30-45 days to 9 months to complete depending upon complexity and issues. The cases can require close to forty hours to complete…which in turn means one is being paid at $800.00 per case and the hourly rate is about $20.00/hour to get your feet wet in this industry. Once you are experienced, the hourly rate tops off around $30.00 per hour. The industry is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Nobody willing to provide you an opportunity until you drop close to $1,000 on certification and even then they are purposely vague and give absolutely no information of any companies who will hire you as a “rookie”.

It takes 30-45 days at a minimum to get paid on completed case work. The pay was certainly underwhelming and pays less than IC work as a BI doing federal BI’s. Anyways, I know this might sound negative but the industry seemed to be a real challenge to make any consistent income as this work was all done via contract work and they like to do business only with experienced EEOC Investigators unlike the BI industry where they will hire and train failing attorneys, disgruntled hair dressers, and hotel desk clerks.

However, one thing EEO has going for them is all of the interviews can be done from home by telephone. That’s kind of how the world is going with this Telework thing and with no end in sight how long COVID-19 will last, this at least something to do to possibly generate an income if you can get a ma and pop shop EEO contract company to give you a shot. Which is the hardest thing in my opinion because the job has such a high learning curve. Then be ready to be mentored for 3-5 years to be able to understand the job. And what’s your reward: a $30.00 hour telephone interview investigation job with no guarantee of work or workload.

2 Likes

I said this before, if you are going to pay that money for an investigation cert, got get tech certs. \Get away from the Investigation area, it’s over saturated with every LEO and CJ major applying. Why a lot of top jobs are now requiring degrees like Finances, Tech skills, and Business backgrounds… Tech certs will open up a lot of good positions for you.

4 Likes

Serious question for you, what tech cert would you recommend out of the gate? A first step?

1 Like

CompTIA A+ cert is pretty much the baseline entry level cert, not too expensive and not too difficult, mainly deals with various types of general knowledge regarding hardware and connections and troubleshooting. Professor Messer has an entire video course for free on Youtube to prepare for the exam

Typically a good route to go would be getting the A+, Network+ and Sec+, the last one (Sec+) is pretty much needed if you want to do any sort of government or defense contracting work

3 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Got it! Thanks for the info! Hey do you mind if I email you directly? If so can you email me please is01717@yahoo.com

I’m outa here, over 20 years on contract, but no work forced me to look elsewhere. I marketed my skills as best as I could and ended up with 3 offers, property management, CBP contract work, and Human Resources. Took the HR Job as pay was close to what I was making as a Level 3. Not sure yet if I’ll miss the job, but it has not been fun for some time.

9 Likes

Big congratulations on crossing the finish line after running the same BI race a few times. You’ve really put in the time and effort. Yup, the job you took sounds stable. With zero communications from contract firms and feds. No one should feel bad or sorry to leave a truly thankless job. But I thank you. And wish you well in new career.

3 Likes

Congratulations! The grass IS absolutely greener in the non-BI world.

4 Likes

Good news for you. I too left the industry after 14 years. Best decision I ever made. Real jobs don’t have reviewers who reopen you for nit picky irreverent things🙄

8 Likes

Thanks for the info! EEO investigations don’t seem profitable after the breakdown.

The sponsorship was only for fed employees. But I did find other companies given cert classes but yes they are expensive.

I hear ya. Some money flowing in beats burning the savings…opens horizons to new things. Hoping to close on a job by Monday. Had a few “move to Northern Va and we will pay far less than you need,” offers. Hoping this local opportunity comes through.

1 Like

What was the pay of a level 3 BI? I know several people who took the contract work and they love it. Best of luck.

Thor. I was “ stuck” at a level II Investigator ( after 12 years with USIS and then CACI) and was topped out at $52,000 per year. I personally Know a Level III Investigator who told me they were topped out at $65,000 per year. But I gave up chasing the dollars for happiness at half the pay.

1 Like