Naci/ residency requirements/ fed jobs

Hi,

I read on the DHS website that you must have lived in the USA for 2/5 past years to be employed with them, or you must have a US citizen abroad verify your foreign residences. There is also a yale blog that states this is the requirement for most fed jobs. However, I have not read that on any fed jobs description. I've only read it on a DHS document.

So, I've lived 1.5/5 years in the states. I therefore am ineligible for a dhs job.

Could I get a postal, doi, dod job? Is your NACI with written inquiries check disqualified if you don't have 2 out of the past 5 years in the states?

Or is this an agency specific qualification? I know the immigration department sometimes lists jobs with residency requirements of three years.

I applied for a doi and dod job and have interview this week, but now feel uncertain if I quallify. I have lived in places where no us citizen can verify my residence. only brits can. (I taught English abroad with brits.)

If you got as far as the interview, keep going. Make them say no. That is, don't hide anything, but don't assume that this 2/5 requirement applies to this particular job.

https://law.yale.edu/student-life/career-development/students/career-guides-advice/you-apply-understanding-government-background-checks

above is what yale says, that 2/5 is the rule for fed jobs

below is what dhs says about working for that agency

In my situation, I have no us citizens to verify some of my residences, so according to the above link I am unable to get a clearance for dhs jobs.

However is this 2/5 issue an agency issue or a clearance issue? Is the 2/5 rule a standard clearance issue for all fed jobs or just an agency rule?

Yes, but I don't want to get the job, move to the city, then lose the job. That would be a tremendous waste of money and time.

It seems to me like maybe this 2/5 rule is part of the NACI clearance not just the rule for a certain agency. If anyone could give me the answer to this, I would so appreciate it.

The DHS website states that the 2/5 rule is in effect for their agency, and according to the Yale law website it applies to most fed jobs. So this is a clearance issue not an agency rule?

Anyone?

Thanks for posting that DHS document, never seen it before.

Note that there is a provision for getting a waiver.

waiver doesn't apply in my case

i guess no one knows if this is a dhs rule or a clearance rule, the 2/5 thing

why doesn't anyone know this information and why isn't it common knowledge so people
know what they're getting into before they apply for a job

why does yale law school know this rule but no one else does

it seems crazy to me

i googled all this by accident now don't know what to do

Note that the first part of the waiver section talks about very specific conditions for non-citizens to be hired; the last part is a more general discussion of getting a waiver for all other circumstances.

Don't give up so soon.

This requirement may pertain to certain agencies like DHS and DOJ, as well as sensitive positions, but as far a general low risk positions that only require a Tier 1 investigation for appointment I don't believe it applies. T1 investigations are quite often closed out complete without a residence verification (the mailed voucher is not returned), so it is not a mandatory item that needs completion in order to close out the case.

Yes, but why in the world isn't there information on this? Why does yale have such a broad stroke with their information?

It baffles me how the government can be so "off."

As well, many of their jobs have errors in spelling.

A teacher's aide is correct. A teacher's aid is incorrect.

The jobs I am applying for are low tier not in DHS. I have scoured the OPM website and there is no information here either. I did email them, though.

Marko,

Who would know the answer to this question? I have scoured the internet and have found nothing about this save the two links I showed you.

OPM is the federal government's HR Authority so they would be the one's to ask. My thoughts are, unless it is a rule stated in some executive order, law, or regulation then what you have run across applies only to that particular agency.

Sounds right, by why does yale law school have this on their website? It is
baffling.