Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)

So I was just put on a PIP today. With no local work it will be hard to improve. Anyone else survive the PIP?

A performance improvement plan can absolutely be “survived” and can even be a good thing. Usually, as part of the PIP, you are given access to resources and personal attention. My biggest advice is to take advantage of anything that is available to you. Read through whatever guidance you have access to, take any training courses that are available, reach out to mentors with questions if you can, DOUBLE check everything that you do. If you have limited work, you have to make quality count so be extra thorough.

Is there a particular area that you have struggled with? A trend you are seeing in what you are doing wrong? If so, be extra vigilant about your work in that area.

A PIP is not a bad thing, but it is up to you whether you succeed through it. Many people do not pass through, but the reality is that those who get to the point of the PIP are those that the job just isn’t the right fit for them in the first place. However, the ones that pass have committed to improving and just needed the extra push. In my experience, I’ve seen people pass a PIP and go on to become rockstars.

You should take a look at what you’re doing and really ask yourself if this is really what you want to be doing. If it isn’t, let it go and move onto something that makes you happy.

What company do you work for? Just curious because a coworker at SCIS was put on a PIP plan so wondering if SCIS is starting a trend, as I haven’t heard of SCIS doing this until recently. This could be a way of terminating people and getting out of paying unemployment if they can prove you did something wrong.

Honestly I would start looking for another job. The PIP can be survived, but if it’s like the PIP in the private sector you are put under a microscope and the PIP is put in your file for review for future advancement or raise. In the BI industry I would take a PIP as something else maybe coming. Especially with how unstable things are.

3 Likes

That’s the textbook HR answer. The actual reality is that PIPs are often used to “performance manage” an unwanted employee out the door.

5 Likes

Perpecta.
I have been applying elsewhere, out of the BI world, unfortunately. I love this job. Just had a rough few months.

2 Likes

Oh you can count yourself lucky that you were saved from the RIF two weeks ago!! As stated previously I would use those extra resources to my advantage. I’m not sure how long you’ve been doing this but I can tell you that the first year is very rough. But use your resources, seek help, always call IHT, connect with teammates. The job itself can be lonely but you can def pull through. On the other hand, also be aware that this job is not for everyone.

1 Like

Years ago as FT BI I was pit a PIP after promising FM I’d take over 2 meg-horrible financial trainwreck cases that caused original BIs to quit. Yes I was a “rockstar” and even called that exact name by FM. All I asked was that my stats be protected as I would have to spend a whole bunch of extra time on both cases. Well, monthly stats went deep underground as expected but FM didn’t protect me! So had to go on PIP. Sometimes you just get horrible cases that take up your time; this fed contractor BI side industry never respects the fact you take time needed to get job done correctly. And that no, you won’t work 10-15 hours a week with NO pay to get job done and keep stats—THAT is what they wanted you to do I am guessing and you may be on PIP as you didn’t play their “no paid OT” game. If that is case, just start looking now for new job. They are itching to find reasons to let people go. Sorry; hope I am wrong but doubt it.

3 Likes

How are they putting people on PIPs with no work?:woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

That was my question to the FM too. They are.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know who “They” is.

Sounds like there doing this to cover their butts when you are let go.

4 Likes

I can say this definitely, if you are on a PIP that means your manager hates you.

You need to aggressively pursue other employment. Worst case scenario is this: your current employer can enter an Incident Report against you, making your name red in JPAS and finding work will be extremely difficult! Please note: there doesn’t have to be an Incident for them to enter an Incident Report, they can just make stuff up! Yes, it’s true!

2 Likes

Pawngobler, it is clear that you really don’t know how performance management, or just management in general. Managers don’t put people on PIP’s because they hate them.

2 Likes

God bless your innocent soul @NotRecalled, you have a shallow understanding of these things my friend. Seen it happen hundreds of times, never seen a well-liked employee on a PIP regardless of poor performance.

2 Likes

Former TL here. I’ve put people I’ve liked on PIPs. Numbers are numbers and I’m able to separate performance from the person.

(Of course the PIP was always a last ditch effort after investing huge amounts of time and resources trying to help them).

4 Likes