Possible revocation

Hi all,

I received a General Discharge from the military in 2014 for assaulting a peer (while we were both off duty). About 6 months prior to this, I received NJP for my conduct while intoxicated.

In the past 3 years I’ve done a lot of growing up and have worked for a defense contractor for the past 18 months. I haven’t had any additional issues at work or in my personal life. I haven’t had a drink in 2.5 years and live a low key life (that consists of work, school and church exclusively).

It is now time for my security clearance to be renewed and I’ve been asked to provide a lot more detail on the incidents I described above while I was still enlisted in the military. I am concerned my clearance may be denied and I lose my contractor job. I know nothing is definitive, but are the odds stacked against me?

You have some serious incidents in your past but you also have the passage of time on your side. Your case will attract some additional scrutiny, but I think you will be OK.

The time since the incidents is in your favor as is your current lifestyle. Get ALL of the of the documentation on the incidents that you can. Don’t let them come up with anything that you didn’t provide first. Also, letters of recommendation from your current employer and coworkers as well as someone from church. If you have taken advantage of any services such as AA, a recommendation from there as well.

Don’t hide behind or show embarrassment for anything. Be completely up front and shouldn’t have a major problem.

Congratulations on getting yourself together and good luck!