Public Trust Denied 7 years ago

I am mexican and I live in Mexico. I lived in the US for 6 years as a child, moved back to Mexico when I was still a minor. I applied for a job at the US embassy in my city 7 years ago and was denied a public trust clearance. I lied about ever living in the US, as an acquaintance misinformed me saying if I mentioned it, they wouldn’t even consider me for the position, I was also at that time living with my daughters father, who had been deported to mexico from the US for drug related issues (no longer in a relationship with him). And my dad has domestic violence charges from 15 years ago the US. Soooo now I am trying to reapply at the same embassy, and I plan to be completely honest about my childhood living in the US, but I wonder if my ex’s and dad’s history will affect my ability to obtain the clearance. Thanks in advance

1 Like

Most of the people working in US Embassies and Consulates around the world are actually local hires, I think they call them Locally Engaged Staff (LES) or Foreign Service Nationals (FSN). But I never thought about what kind of background check they go through. I think the State Dept local security officer, who has liaison with local law enforcement, may be able to do some checks but not quite like what investigators can do here.

I guess in your case, though, it wasn’t information from Mexican sources, but US immigration records that showed you had been in the US?

Anyway, your ex and father shouldnt affect the investigation, at least it wouldnt be a factor for a public trust determination here.

You are right, it is a local hire. However, since the information that we will be working with is US information, the clearence required is a US public trust :confused:
I am wondering if I should be able to reapply since it’s been so long. If I did reapply, I would definitely be 100% honest about my childhood

I know that if you get denied for a clearance with State Dept (civil service and foreign service), the denial letter includes some kind of statement like, ‘you can reapply in a year’ and I think their web site has similar language. I would think a similar standard would apply for these LES/FSN positions.

But that is just me speculating… :thinking: