Resigned or Involuntarily Resigned?

Hello All,

I separated from a company in 2018, I thought it was an involuntary resignation with an option to return, but in preparation of completing my SF-86, I reached out to them for more info. They responded that “we don’t say ‘involuntary’ resignation” and that “if you signed the separation agreement, then we treat it as a resignation” and “Due to company policy, we do not release certain information”.

I want to be completely honest on my form, but I am a little confused on what I should do. Should I put down “involuntary resignation” because I think that’s what happened or what my file says.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks all.

When you say ‘involuntary resignation’ it sounds like you resigned instead of getting fired. If so, that is one of the things they ask about. So I would say yes, better to be up front about it. Might not use the term ‘involuntary resignation’ as it does sound rather odd but this does happen where people are let go but allowed to ‘resign’ so it should not be a big deal in and of itself.

1 Like

Isn’t this what it means when you’re furloughed?

Sounds like you either had bad HR, who lied to you about the option to return, or there just was no option to return.

Thanks both for your responses.

There was/is an option to return. I’m just confused what to put because what I recollect differs from what my paperwork will say from the company. Anyways, I’ll just be completely forthcoming and say what I recollect, being involuntary resignation with an option to return, and explain the whole situation.

@sbusquirrel When you say it should not be a big deal in and of itself, could you clarify?

and yes, it was a company that is notorious for treating their employees poorly and HR is a part of that.

Thanks again all for your help.

As long as there was no glaring misconduct issue behind the resignation. Performance problems are not an issue, but if there was anything else it could be more complicated. And some people leave under what appear to be good terms only to find out later that all sorts of allegations were made.

1 Like

Yeah we have zero control over what previous employer may say. However, plenty were successfully sued and paid substantial penalties for giving info they could not back up. Professional HR shops will verify you worked there. And if they would hire you back. That is code for “were there hidden issues.” Some will simply read the sentence “not eligible for rehire, no reason given.” I’ve faced this issue myself in a contract swap. You resign…not because you want to give up your income…or duties, or did anything wrong, but new company is making life difficult on purpose to drive you out, hire someone cheaper. Dirty secret in contract re-awards is a new company wants to reset labor rates. If their performance score drops by replacing you with a far less experienced person they may lose 15k in award fee. But if they saved 70k in salary? It is a win for them and then they focus on rebuilding your department scores/award fees. It’s dirty and more than a few companies have followed this model. Offer crazy good compensation to sign key staff, use their resume to win bid, and immediately work on replacing the key staff for far cheaper labor. The government hands are equally dirty. They love cheap contracts more than they value expertise and long established working relationships.

Just state you resigned, no longer a good fit. You need not say more and if there is negative info given you get a chance to respond.