SCI social media

I have some foreign contacts on my Facebook. I was wondering if I have to report them if I only texted them two or three times. I just don’t want to under report or over report. I have some others where I added on FB but haven’t talked to in person for over 10 years.

Does YouTube count as social media?

"Close and continuing . . . "

Or . . . Should I just ask what your doing? Last December you told us that you had been waiting for almost a year for your clearance?

The question on the form is:
" Do you have, or have you had, close and/or continuing contact with a foreign national within the last seven (7) years with whom you, or your spouse, or cohabitant are bound by affection, influence, common interests, and/or obligation? Include associates as well as relatives, not previously listed in Section 18."

I don’t think a few texts to someone who lives in another country counts as 'close and/or continuing contact". Even FB friends who not citizens whom you simply follow on social media but don’t have “close contact” probably wouldn’t qualify. If, however, you transact business or regularly communicate with foreign contacts through any means (in person, phone, text, email, etc.), you probably should list it and then let the investigator ask what they feel is necessary.

2 Likes

I got y TS but I am now going for my sci.

1 Like

What constitutes close or on going?

If I am correct, you texted them… by texting, I interpreted it that you have their numbers and they have yours or both have private conversations. In that case, I would report the communication and let the adjudicator decides on its relevancy.

I have friends from Japan I have known since 1986. I left Japan in 92. Through Facebook I see posts. I click like. Or I comment their dog is cute. That…is continuing or on going contact. I visited Japan in 2001, hooked up with old friends again. They forgot their English, I was still terrible with my Japanese…we still had a great time.

But here’s where things get weird: it’s not continuing contact if it stops BUT you’re supposed to go back 7 years. So do I report Koreans I saw on a continuing basis 5 years ago when I was stationed in Korea (for 2.5 years)? That’s like 25 plus people.

Yes. If you did more than just work with them. If you socialized with some you should list those. If you only worked with them here or overseas, I would leave them off based on what my investigator told me.

Well, I’m at 28 people right now…one of the negatives of being overseas for so long.

2 Likes

According to my FSO, you are supposed to report them. That’s why I got rid of Twitter and LinkedIn. My Facebook is only family. I don’t need anything putting my clearance in jeopardy.

You don’t have to isolate yourself or limit what you do. I have about 2000 Facebook friends all over the world and I primarily post political and comment on political issues. My investigator told me not to worry about it.

I hear you except I would have to continually report every single one and if I miss one then it’s an integrity issue. I don’t need the hassle.

1 Like

What I’m tell you is that you do not have to so. It’s up to you what you do with the information. If you want to avoid credit issues, you can decide not to use credit but millions of clearance holders use credit every day without problems.

Not really a credit issue. It’s more about not having to track foreign contacts or get into issue with close and continuing contact. If there is no contact even the slightest then no one can claim there is contact.

1 Like

Report, but indicate you stopped “continual” contact X years ago. Honestly, the investigators know how to capture said situations. If it is explainable, it is understandable. Not reporting them can make it seem you are hiding them. That…would be a problem and a hole you need not dig for yourself.

Hello,

I had exactly the same timeline as you to get my secret SSBI granted. I am going for a TS/SCI upgrade using the same recently closed SSBI. Do you how long the upgrade process takes?

Thank you!

It depends…on how well in line you are with adjudicative standards. Also how many times you moved. I seen them go long…27 months, where folks walked in off the streets and cleared SCI TS in 18 months. In some ways they see you as a low priority. You are cleared, working. It is easy to lose speed as they juggle you to the bottom.

amberbunny, so since I’m cleared now, working with no issues, and I have what could simply be called a pretty complex case, could this thing literally be pushed all the way to the bottom of the never-ending stack? When I say complex, I’m thinking of possibly up to 6 interwoven issues.