Secret clearance while working 2jobs

Hello
I have been offered a job, which requires a secret clearance, right now I have public trust. A new employee asked me to start in 2weeks without starting the clearance process. The question is, what happens if I won’t obtain a secret clearance and lose my current employer? Can I work 2jobs at the same time, and once I get secret clearance I quit.

It’s hard to say without knowing the details. I am 99% sure you can’t hold two Federal (GS) jobs at once. You might be able to swing it if they both are contractors and they both are willing…but I somewhat doubt it will work out that way. This type of job usually wants your undivided attention.

Whether it is worth the risk depends how much risk there is, which only you know. If you have a 100% clean sheet, then no sweat. If there are some adverse things to work through, well…you need to get some more specific advice based on what those are.

Have you ever had a secret clearance?

It is not a problem to have 2 or more contractor jobs. The issue would be do the jobs compete or perform the same function.

2 intel jobs might not like it, but an intel and a part-time mechanic on weekends would not care.

2 Likes

I can manage 2jobs, one is very very flexible. The only thing is that I don’t want to loose the public trust clearance and not get a secret.

As long as you are honest with your employers, it should not be a problem.

What do you mean honest? As in keeping both companies in the loop? What if the two positions are not intel positions?

The intel was an example. Any contracting company would not want you working for a competitor.

Yes, keep them in the loop. Tell the company what is going on.