Security clearance Secret

Hello, I just took a job with the military as a contractor. They had me to an extended background check already to start and I passed but they now need a secret clearance. I was told they only got back 10 year which is fine but no true there’s a question that ask have you ever had a felony EVER.

Well I have, I have 3 but there 12,13, and 14 years ago for theft. I never served time or had anything really sentenced against me since they were petty theft things. Since then I have paid off court fees and went back and went to court to get my gun privileges back and now haven’t had issue getting jobs with clearance before but it was because they never went back more then 10 years

Wondering if this will be an issue for a secret clearance

There are things we look at outside the ten years. Report the felonies (arrest date, arresting law enforcement, court, court date, original charge, final charge, all of the court requirements) on the questionnaire as instructed. You will probably be surprised that upfront admission goes a long way towards mitigation.

I’m going to report it all but wondering if I’ll be denied for having felony’s that are from that long ago. Again I didn’t serve time just ankle bracket and probation.

Non violent felonies from that long ago are not automatic disqualifiers. You have a good shot at the clearance as long as you completed the court requirements, got up, dusted yourself off, and didn’t continue the behavior.

2 Likes