Should I even try?

I am at a job that requires a security clearance to move up but I have so many things working against me that I feel maybe I should just find another job because I don’t think I will get a clearance. I am older and hyperboled in my job resume to get a job. I have dual citizenship - although I am a us citizen by birth - that expires some years from now and to renounce requires me to go back to the country I was made a citizen in and their courts. Also the majority of my family besides parents and siblings live abroad in latin america. I havent spoken to them in a year or more. My family over there is also relatively wealthy with my parent (cohabitant? Should i even include the parent?) Profiting from a property and giving me a share when I was unemployed. I was also unemployed on and off for a few years. I was missing direction in my life and had some undiagnosed anxiety that made me lack a social life so i have no friends to list under references. I was also forced to resign from a job and had short 3 month jobs which i never listed on my resume. Despite all this i never drank alcohol smoked involved in any accident no criminal history great credit etc but i did travel abroad a lot the past 7 years. So should I give up now or could there be a chance? Or would i be waiting a year for any chance? Its annoying because my 24 yr old coworker got her full clearance in 3 months because shes young, hasn’t travelled abroad, and its her first job.

There is nothing that you described that would keep you from getting a clearance. Being wealthy doesn’t stop you. They aren’t participating in criminal activity correct? Answer the questions that they ask. All that wealthy stuff an investigator will look at you crazy and ask why are you telling me this! Lol! Kidding…

It doesn’t hurt to try, and the cost of an investigation for a Secret clearance is relatively minor (less than $1000 in most cases, so you shouldn’t feel too guilty to try).

Lying (or ‘hyperbolizing’) in a resume might come up during your investigation since your employer will almost certainly be contacted. Depending on the extent, this probably isn’t enough to disqualify you from a clearance.

The citizenship situation can also be mitigated. See this post: https://news.clearancejobs.com/2010/09/29/dual-citizenship-and-security-clearances/ Mostly, the important part is that you were presumably made a citizen of that country automatically (parents were citizens or such), and you establish intent to renounce. What they are worried about is that you have acted or will continue to act as a citizen of that country, with preference other than to the US. You seem to indicate that that isn’t really the case, but you will need to explain that. The money taken from your parent, which was indirectly from foreign property, might be an issue, or might not. It’s difficult to say beforehand. Having most of your family overseas could be an issue.

Being unemployed isn’t a problem, though you might have some difficulty finding the number of references that you will want for periods of unemployment and such. If you are really worried, then just try filling out the SF-86 and see if you run into major roadblocks.

As I said, it doesn’t really hurt to try and it isn’t very likely that your situation will be vastly improved in a year. You might be able to renounce your foreign citizenship in that time, which could help, but you will still have significant foreign ties to investigate.

I wouldn’t expect you to have any more trouble than most. Your foreign citizenship shouldn’t be much of an issue since it was given at birth and you have never made any attempt to take advantage of it or make use of it.

Will there be questions? Of course there will. But, it doesn’t sound like anything that can’t be overcome.

I was just made a citizen through my parents a few years ago. Besides avoiding the fines for being a US citizen I haven’t used it for anything further.