Security Clearance Eligibility

I am currently 31 years old and I am looking to apply for jobs that requires security clearance.
I have few concerns based on some mistakes I was 15 to 16 years old.

1. I have two juvenile (Youth Offender) records
  2. My spouse is not a U.S. citizen, she is from a country that is not our ally.
  3. My immediate families are all living in different countries

Do I have a chance to obtain security clearance?

Any advice will be helpful, thank you

We need much more information in order to help. Please be more specific.

You have a chance, certainly. All of those issues can be mitigated and none of them seem like outright deal breakers.

However, you can be nearly certain that you will not be granted an interim clearance, so I recommend you keep that in mind during your job search. You should be especially wary of job offers which require an interim/full clearance to start work (with no possibility for non-cleared work), as this could leave you waiting for many months unable to start. You might also expect that your investigation will take longer than usual due to your more complex situation.

Short of major felonies at age 15 or 16, I would not worry about that. Marriage to a non allied country sounds huge…but it is not. You will not be eligible for most if not all SCI. But I personally know Americans cleared to TS with Russian born spouses. And yes the government is 100% aware. Immediate family living abroad…I predict slows you way down. Their reasons for living abroad are their own. But it can paint an overall picture of your family having loyalty external to the US. That is a big player.

I really appreciate this response.

I do have an additional question, I was born in the U.S. and lived in South Korea between the age of 5 to 12 years old.

I never received a Korean passport or so. However, according to the South Korean government, when I was born in the U.S. because my parents are Korean, I still hold the obligation to serve in the South Korean Military.

Straight to the point, I didn’t serve in their military but now they are holding it against me stating that I have not fulfilled their mandatory military requirement.

Would this effect my overall security clearance issue as well?

I understand that this is a very specific question, but it will be great if I can get some sort of advice.

Thank you for your time

Do you relatives live in North Korea? This would present an issue.

1 Like

I would certainly recommend not visiting Korea, North or South. If they feel you require military service…strange things can happen at border crossings. Born in the US, currently that makes you a US Citizen. Period, even if born to no US citizens. Some do not like that but it remains how it is at least at the present time.