Tier 3 Clearance

Currently, hold a govt position where I completed a SF85 (public trust tier1) approximately 2 years ago. I was not contacted for an interview and nor did any of my contacts listed were contacted either.

Fast forward, I just recently applied for another govt position but it requires I obtain Secret (non sensitive/moderate risk) clearance.

What are my chances for the following:

1. citizenship through my mother
    *** I have a US passport and certificate of citizenship document
  2. I have had a closed remark on my credit report that fell off all 3 agencies about 2 years ago. Did a recent credit report early February and no derogatory comments found.
  3. My credit to ratio is at 40%. I’m working on reducing my debt. My credit score varies between banks so it falls in the range of 678 to 748.
  4. I paid monthy rent to my aunt who is a permanent US legal resident (non us citizen) that was about 2 years ago as well
    ** I guess you can count this as a foreign contact?
  5. I was unemployed for about 4 months before gaining the govt position i hold now.
  6. I have not traveled to any foreign country since 2007/8 (i think)
  7. No DUI, arrests, drugs, gambling, etc

What do you think?

What are my chances for the following:

Chance has nothing to do with this process. Adjudication is based on mitigating factors that are explained well and pass the litmus test or are woefully avoided, played off or just not properly addressed.

1. citizenship through my mother
    2.** I have a US passport and certificate of citizenship document

You will need to report your country of origin and current citizenship status with that and any other foreign country. If you have foreign passports Or IDs you will need to report those for review. Your naturalization document number will be needed for review.

1. I have had a closed remark on my credit report that fell off all 3 agencies about 2 years ago. Did a recent credit report early February and no derogatory comments found.

2. My credit to ratio is at 40%. I’m working on reducing my debt. My credit score varies between banks so it falls in the range of 678 to 748.

Any delinquency, collection or derogatory detail from the past most likely will be shown on the report. The closed status is usually shown if the account is reported as such. You will need to explain the situation during an interview if triggered.

1. I paid monthy rent to my aunt who is a permanent US legal resident (non us citizen) that was about 2 years ago as well
    6.* I guess you can count this as a foreign contact?

All individuals who are not us citizens that have close or continuing contact are expected to be listed on the form. If that rent payment was actually monitory support you will report that in the foreign section asking if support was provided to a foreign national.

1. I was unemployed for about 4 months before gaining the govt position i hold now.

Report it, provide a source, be ready to discuss how you were financially supported and what activity you were involved in while unemployed.

1. I have not traveled to any foreign country since 2007/8 (i think)
  2. No DUI, arrests, drugs, gambling, etc

Nothing of concern or bonus here. Law abiding behavior is expected as the norm, not as something above and beyond.

I do not hold any foreign Id’s or passport. As for the unemployment period it was due to being laid off from a contract job that downsized. I was receiving unemployment insurance compensation through the state.

The unemployment is not an issue. The blank four months is the concern. List the time as unemployment and provide someone that can recall you were unemployed for that time period.

Unemployment and employment “expansion” are common tactics to hide incarceration and foreign travel. Don’t try to hide the unemployment. If you were unemployed on 1 March and started working for someone on 30 April, you would not have to list the unemployment. Start work on 1 May - you have to report it to show the gap.