TS/SCI Background Investigation Timeline Question

It has been 3 years since I submitted my SF 86 and nothing at all has started. No poly, no med, no field background but still actively processing. any insight on what could have been done so far or why that is? usually the wait happens at adjudication.

Not really . . . I’m not sure how you know what has or hasn’t been done in terms of investigation. They don’t keep you informed. Has your credit been pulled? Had they done your poly and med when you started, they might need to be redone before they finish. What level investigation? Not everybody gets an interview, poly, med, not all of the people listed on your forms are contacted.

There are also many things that go on at the various agencies that have an effect on the process. If you’re at DoD a delay like this is isn’t good, at a CI agency, it’s reasonably common.

1 Like

Ed, you are right… many of the delayed cases discussed in here are IC cases. These are not normally completed by DCSA but one of the smaller investigator provider venues.

1 Like

would you elaborate little bit?

Yes you are right in that generally speaking, a subject isn’t told the details of his investigation but he/she would know if he/she has done poly or med. right? He/She would know if field background started because references would be contacted and He/She would have a SI. In my case none of that has been done after 3 years of submitting the Form. NOTHING STARTED yet except review of the FORM. Any insight into what might be the hold up?

Foreign travel? Foreign contacts? Naturalized citizen? Relatives overseas? These are some of the most common (but by no means the only) reasons for excruciatingly long background investigations.

I guess part of the answer would be is there any other parts of the process that are done before case is assigned to an investigator? If yes, what are they? NAC is one I can think of but what are the national agencies being checked and what are they checked for?

my point is that BI has not started.
two foreign trips (work related and disclosed), no relatives overseas, Us national(born in the US) but if any of that is an issue, it would be looked into during BI. again the point is that BI has not started after 3 years of submitting the Form.

I addressed every one of your points in my last post. I didn’t imply that you would have had a poly, med check or interview without noticing but I did point out that not all subjects get those things AND that your references are not always contacted.

I don’t know where you are applying, I don’t know when your SF-86 was actually submitted for investigation. I don’t know what issues you may have that could be causing the delay.

As noted elsewhere, we have seen people here who waited three years and then cleared and we have seen others who waited three years and were denied. We can’t tell one from the other.

If you are applying to a three letter agency, then all bets are off. If you are being considered for a clandestine position, they may not clear you until they need you. Remember, this system is not here for your benefit. It is here to protect national security.