View from the otherside of the Background Investigator credentials

I am currently a Fed.

IRTPA of 2004 from Congress set the “thou shall” metrics that I am talking about.

Well there was a post somewhere on this site in which someone who had served 4 years in federal prison was inquiring about his chances for obtaining a security clearance. Go figure!

1 Like

Yes and he tried to say he worked for DOJ because he had a job in the Prison Laundry.

2 Likes

Well, he could have also listed UNICOR as his employer!

Actually I mentioned this to the guy, Since many yrs ago I worked for the BOP.

1 Like

@Backgroundinvestigator I loved your write up, so true. I was cleared to work on the OPM contract, given a start date for training, flight times to complete my course etc. Then out of the blue two days ago, 'The government agency (OPM) have withdrawn clearance for you to work on contract! I’m in complete shock. Im a Naturalized American citizen (British born) had top security clearance in the UK, worked in Max security prisons, for over a decade, nothing has changed other than I married an American soldier (he has security clearance) I haven’t had so much as a parking ticket. All I can think is that I owned a property in the UK which I handed back to the bank because the market in the UK is awful because of Brexit, the bank sold the property and I’m going to pay the ‘very small’ short fall in what the mortgage was. Would this really stop me working on the OPM contract? Im gutted, Absolutely gutted… Any help would be appreciated. Also can I appeal?

You would need to contact OPM/NBIB to ask why you were denied - most likely using a Freedom of Information Act request.

1 Like

This.Is.Perfect! My last job in the Navy was as a Security Manager for a group of about 15k personnel. Reviewing all of the SF86s (with a team of 2-3 others). Hectic, but we got through every day. THEN, I became a BI with CACI. EYE-OPENING! I learned that we were not reviewing the questionnaires enough. Many times, I had an interview and if the Subject only had guidance on how to fill it out properly, there wouldn’t have needed to be an interview…frustration!

Now…I am back! Same position, now as FEDCIV. No team members right now to speak of, no one really trained yet. Down to about 13k personnel, but trying to get the word out of how to fill out the form is tough. I’ve taken the knowledge as a BI, applied it to the questionnaires going through my review, and the results speak for themselves.
T3R: back in 3 weeks (no typo, 3 weeks!)
T5, foreign born, foreign relatives, foreign everything: 2 weeks after submission, Subject, friends, and neighbors were getting interviewed.
My own T5R: 8 months from eQip submission to new Adjudication. I have almost 300 personnel that submitted before I did that are still not complete.
I would like to think that I am making the BI job a little easier. Trying to make sure that Subjects don’t do ‘the norm’ that you describe so succinctly!

2 Likes

I loved your rendition of the past 4 weeks of my life! Oh if only I could teach them how to complete their sf86s and if only I could teach review how to review!

Was it an interim that was denied? What did the security manager say? You should receive something from OPM too

Hungry ghost realm is my favorite.

Anyone care to give the new normal under COVID19? Such as Subjects that don’t believe who you are while complaining to you how long their investigation is taking?

1 Like

I wonder if I’m screwed. Been working at the Geo group on an interim security clearance for about 3 months.

I never mentioned I went to navy basic training almost 20 years ago, because when it asks if you served in the military, I always say no because, I in fact never served in the fleet, never was assigned any orders or stationed anywhere, I was found unfit to be in the navy for medical reasons and for a failure to adapt to military lifestyle back in early 2009. This particular security clearance is only asking about my 7 year work history and 7 year residential history and things like that.

Well my investigator called me yesterday and asked “ were you in the military” I answered confused “no?” “Well technically no, I went to navy boot camp for like 30 days” and I told her what happened.

I think I’m screwed now.

It doesn’t matter that it was more than seven years ago. There’s another separate question that asks about military service and it’s an “ever” question. Likely not a deal breaker, but it should have been listed on your paperwork.

I understand why you answered the way you did, but there’s a paper trail (not to mention paychecks) proving you did in fact serve for a brief time. Respectfully, I have to say it looks like bad judgment and your best chance now is to spell out in writing everything you just posted so an adjudicator can make an informed decision.

This isn’t going to look good for you. Any type of discharge other than honorable is considered an issue and must be discussed and full issue resolution obtained. Omitting a relevant material fact is not great. Military service has a separate section than employment. Specific duty stations within the coverage period would be listed under employment, but the branch, enlisted or officer, and type of discharge all goes under the military section and there is no time frame restrictions for this section. Any military ever should be listed there.

Not going to look good for me even though I discussed what happened? I wasn’t in the military. They made that clear to me everyday in basic, and even when I was discharged, I attempted to join the military.

If you were discharged, you were in the military. Doesn’t matter if you were in one day or one decade.

2 Likes

Whether fellow military members accept you as part of the military is completely irrelevant. Once you’ve signed the papers and sworn in they own you. I’ve had subjects that never even made it to bootcamp for whatever reason and it had to be discussed. Think about it, they can’t discharge you from something you were never in.

1 Like

This was 20 years ago and you were confused by the question when you completed the form and then you explained the situation when the investigator asked about it… And it sounds like you weren’t discharged for a serious issue. I would bet that you will get the clearance. Please come back and let us know when you receive the final decision.