You think your background is saucy? Investigators have seen worse

Hi there - I’m looking for interesting background investigation scenarios that investigators have stumbled upon. Just trying to showcase to potential security clearance applicants that some things aren’t disqualifiers and they should still be interested in national security careers even if they did something like, say, smoked weed in college. Or have an estranged family member who is in prison.

Feel free to comment here if you’re willing to share, or shoot me a note at katie.keller@clearancejobs.com.

Thanks!

SUBJECT had a brother who was in prison for smuggling people into the US. SUBJECT was applying for a job with CBP.

2 Likes

We could tell stories all day long, but only the adjudicators are going to be able to tell you what’s disqualifiable.

4 Likes

How about the Subject that was fired from a major employer, listed on the SF86 for the DoD contracting job he wanted but decline to discuss it. Told me his former HR told him that he was not allowed to discuss the termination, not even the federal government.

Denied having any arrests in the last 7 years, even though i stressed having to report sealed or expunged records.

then the bomb, “during the course of the investigation…” 1) I confronted on the two expunged misdemeanors he had recently paid to expunge (in a neighboring state) 2) the criminal investigation about him embezzling from his employer and their customers (reason for termination) 3) the upcoming court trial for the embezzlement charges. The trial was in less than two weeks.

He yelled so loud threatening me bodily harm among other things that the FSO popped into the interview room and sent the Subject home. That was the end of the interview and the Subject did not return to work, or the interview, the next day.

7 Likes

I used to be in a reserve unit with some investigators. They had some good stories. One that can be shared was the time a guy was doing a interview with a reference and asked, does Mr Smith have any financial problems? And the response was something like, well, he does have it tough with two ex-wives but he does OK.

And the investigator thought to himself… two ex-wives? Did I miss something? He checked and there was no mention of them anywhere on the forms. Suddenly the investigator understood why a highly-paid engineer at a major aerospace firm was living in a room above a garage.

4 Likes

Thank you for the laugh lol

Oh Mr Smith - just doing ok.

1 Like

Sounds frightening @backgdinvestigator and good pt @investigator721

Subject was fired from two previous employers… she still got the job and clearance!

Smoking weed in college isn’t a rare case. It happens more than you think and I am certain those people go on to get their clearance.

I once interviewed a lady who had applied for a job with the Department of Interior and the SF 86 had very minimal information on it. During the interview I asked her to provide additional references to cover a full ten years and she said, no, I can’t. When asked why not, she said she was in the witness protection program and no one was supposed to know her as who she was now. Well, come to find out later, she was actually in what I call the police evasion program and was wanted for fraud and embezzlment.

11 Likes

Sociopaths don’t self admit and they don’t ever get diagnosed (antisocial personality disorder) because they are certain THEY aren’t the problem. They most certainly exist all around us.

4 Likes

I always tell people the stuff you don’t list or try to hide is what is going screw you. I feel like if you list your issues and then explain the situation truthfully to your investigator then you more than likely get your clearance.

3 Likes

One of my favorites, subject was coming out of a bar and probably drank more than he should have. He saw a Lemonade truck idling at the curb, so he took it for a joy ride. It was an amusing story. He told me to feel free to use it.

Former strippers, current strippers, former meth-heads, current potheads, bestiality, polygamy, $700k in unsecured debt, tax evasion, wife beaters, husband beaters, child abusers . . . .

4 Likes

Can you please help me? I need the opinion of an investigator

1 Like

What do you need the opinion of an investigator on?

Whether what I did can be mitigated. I think it can but I am not sure

Weeeeeell? We’re waiting

1 Like

Ok about 10 or 11 years ago when I was 18 and single, my friends from high school were messing around and convinced me to hire a hooker.

I am extremely ashamed of this and learned my lesson. It was a one time thing. Never done it again. I have gotten multiple degrees in criminal justice, several years of law enforcement experience, I constantly volunteer my time at local schools, have a girlfriend that I love, my family and friends know about this dumb thing. I am a completely different man today.

The only reason agencies know is because I come clean about it immediately but I think it has now become a problem and has put a major red flag on my character despite all the great accomplishments that I have made throughout my life after that.

This is such a hard pill to swallow. My brother died and I seeing my mom cry the way that she did was something that I will never wish on anyone. I literally wanted to go after big time drug dealers and put them behind bars before someone’s brother dies and they have to see their mom cry the way that I saw mine. I’m sitting here watching these agencies not give me a chance without being able to do a damn thing about it sucks.

There are two kind of rejections for clearance process, one is suitability and the other is security denial.

You are only offered to appeal when it is security denial. It is called SOR. As for suitability, it could be everything and anything they deny you for, however, with that you can always apply again.

Here is an example of someone got denied due to prostitution, he hired a hooker with his friends while holding clearance and married. His appeal was successful. So yes, prostitution can be mitigated.

https://doha.ogc.osd.mil/Industrial-Security-Program/Industrial-Security-Clearance-Decisions/ISCR-Hearing-Decisions/2021-ISCR-Hearing-Decisions/FileId/155514/

However, in your case, it seemed you got suitability denial. That is a great news! That means you can apply in a year.

Are you sure that’s the only one thing they found out or maybe there are other things you didn’t know?

1 Like