Question: I have two issues in my Background Investigation

I worked a job partime in college about 4 years ago and I quit with out giving a proper notice. They investigated it and the job told them I was fired for no call no shows. Also when I was in college a year later my landlord told the investigators that I was 6 months late on rent, but they have no documentation or anything to prove it. My question is will these issues ruin my chance of being cleared?

If these are isolated incidents with no recent similar history then they would not affect your eligibility to obtain a clearance as long as you disclosed all required information on the SF-86.

Negative. I had similar situations. Left a job by being let go/fired. Also had many bills I was late on, lots of debt, things I didn’t pay for years. As long as you show you are working to take care of those debts, and the job issue isn’t a recurring thing, you will be fine. I got my clearance after many dings in my past.

Fired from a part-time college for not showing up? That might have stopped just about all of us! Pretty much the same goes for rent on a college house.

By the way . . . In many states, there is no such thing as quitting “without proper notice” which is a legal term. If you were working in one of these states you have the right to leave any time that you want and your employer has the right to let you go for any reason and whenever he wants.

I would contact the employer and threaten to sue for defamation and to report him to the investigators for providing false information. He may not believe you. But, he is unlikely to want to take the risk of defending himself. He may then contact the investigator and agree that you left on good terms.

This is one reason that most large corporations will only report start and end of employment dates without giving any further information.