Adjudicator wants proof of citizenship other than U.S. Passport

From time to time I see posts here from somebody who is saying that the investigator wants additional proof and they have no idea what to give them. Then when they contact ICE, they find out there isn’t anything else.

Did the adjudicator specify in their email exactly what kind of document would be acceptable?

1 Like

He didn’t specify, just said a “document” other than passport is needed. I’m wondering, how the heck did I come this far in the process for a TS/TSI including passing a poly if I’m a LPR.

You should reach out and ask what they need to see.

(this is directed to investigators) is it possible to ask to speak to someone who can tell you, like a supervisor?

If you were not born in the U.S. and your parents became citizens before you turning 18, you’d automatically become a U.S. citizen and can obtain a US passport based on that. However, in order to have evidence of your U.S. citizenship, you must file an N-600, pay the fees, do fingerprints and have a naturalization ceremony.

The question becomes… how did you get your US passport without proof of citizenship?

There is a process through ICE where you can obtain your own documents if you were part of your parents’ naturalization.

I was informed that the Certificate of Citizenship from the N-600 to arrive would take anywhere from 4-12 months even if expedited. Fees would be waived due to my military service. I just don’t have that much time as I already been in this process for a long time now.

Actually you can obtain a US Passport before you have your own naturalization certificate. You’d need proof of your relationship to the U.S. citizen parent and proof that you are residing, or has resided in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent(s) pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence. This is according to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

After reading the proof requirements for citizenship- you might still be better off getting the N-600.

That takes anywhere from 6-12 months. I have been in this process for a while now. A U.S. passport is prima facie evidence of USC.

No . . . It isn’t . . . For example, there are “non-citizen nationals” who can get a U.S. passport.

Thats a very small category usually reserved for American Samoa natives. That passport also clearly says the bearer is a “national” and not a citizen on the endorsements page.

1 Like

Primary Evidence of US Citizenship

The following items are accepted as primary proof of US citizenship. You only need to submit one of these items.

  • Birth Certificate showing birth in the US – This must be an original or certified copy of the long-form certificate showing your parents names, issued by the municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not accepted. You can acquire a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Office of Vital Statistics in the location of your birth or through
  • Previous US Passport – Both valid and expired passports may be used. If your appearance has changed significantly since your passport was issued, you may need to submit a different form of proof of US citizenship.
  • US Naturalization Certificate – Original or certified copy.
  • Consular Record of Birth Abroad – If you were born overseas to a US parent, you can submit an original Consular Record of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350).
  • File Search – If you have previously been issued a passport, but it has been lost or stolen, you may request a file search at the Passport Agency. You will need to submit this formand an additional $150 fee.

Tell that to the State Department and USCIS. Anyone else that actually knows have any suggestions

Have you applied for the N-600? Do it NOW. This is a pretty darned sure way to provide the documentation needed no matter how long it will take. (You started saying “4-12 months” and then pushed it back to “6-12 monthcs”) After you apply you can start looking for ways around the issue. Every day that you delay applying, is a day later that it will come.

You say that this came from an adjudicator? Not your investigator? Respond to the letter as soon as possible. Explain the entire situation and see if they can help you figure out where the problem is and what can be done about it.

You have been told TWO ways that someone can get a passport without being a citizen. Even if the adjudicator is mistaken, YOU need to address the issue. Telling us that every suggestion we make is incorrect isn’t going to help you in the least.

1 Like

This is me exactly but with a small twist. BOTH parents had to become citizens and only my Dad did, but my parents divorced and I went with my dad. Sister went with my mom and had to be naturalized. My “proof of citizenship” is my dad’s naturalization paper, my birth cert showing I was under 18 when he was naturalized, and the divorce paperwork showing my dad had custody of me. That was enough for my SCI and employment at a three letter agency.

1 Like

What year was your father naturalized?

Dad was naturalized in 1973 and my parents were divorced in 1975. I turned 18 in 1980.

@YOUNG . . . You’re here arguing with us . . . Would you mind telling us what you are doing to pursue your issue?

Thank you for that. Prior to the new Child Citizenship Act of 2000, I was told both parents had to be naturalized in order for child to get derivative citizenship but the new law amends for all children that were under the age of 18 prior to Feb 27, 2001. In which case, it would be only one parent that needed to be naturalized. I’m wondering if I could do the same in my case as you did in yours.

If your parents divorced and the American had custody I don’t see why not.

This is not exactly the same, but similar. I am in process and both my husband and my daughter were adopted from other countries as infants; my husband from India, my daughter from Guatemala. At the request of the BI, I had to provide (for my husband) his COC information, passport, and dd214. For my daughter I had to provide her COC information, re-adoption certificate and birth cert (delayed registration) to show/prove her name change. They were less concerned with my daughters documents as I was the person who adopted her, but for my husband, even with proof of military service and passport, and the fact that he was adopted as an infant/toddler, they still required all of the information (date and registration number) from his COC, which was issued in the 80’s. Thankfully I had all of those documents and was able to provide what was requested. If you don’t have a COC, I would recommend getting one, not just for this process, but for anything else that might come up down the line.
Here is the USCIS link of FAQ’s, which cover questions related to when parents divorce: