Adjudicator wants proof of citizenship other than U.S. Passport

This is not exactly the same, but similar. I am in process and both my husband and my daughter were adopted from other countries as infants; my husband from India, my daughter from Guatemala. At the request of the BI, I had to provide (for my husband) his COC information, passport, and dd214. For my daughter I had to provide her COC information, re-adoption certificate and birth cert (delayed registration) to show/prove her name change. They were less concerned with my daughters documents as I was the person who adopted her, but for my husband, even with proof of military service and passport, and the fact that he was adopted as an infant/toddler, they still required all of the information (date and registration number) from his COC, which was issued in the 80’s. Thankfully I had all of those documents and was able to provide what was requested. If you don’t have a COC, I would recommend getting one, not just for this process, but for anything else that might come up down the line.
Here is the USCIS link of FAQ’s, which cover questions related to when parents divorce:

Hello, did you end up figuring out the citizenship verification issue? Did they require the N600 or did your U.S passport suffice? I am in a similar situation as you and trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to spend $1200 to file for N600 if my U.S passport will work.

1 Like