Applying for TS jobs with out-of-scope TS

Greetings,

I am an Active Duty Soldier and have a TS/SCI and my security contact told me I am out of scope for the investigation for a TS around August 2025. I desire to land a civilian job when I exit service November 2025. I have read from different blogs and articles that a TS clearance can be reactivated if it is within 24 months of it being last active. My concern is that 24 months period, does that also apply to the out-of-scope investigation (past the 5 year mark, i.e. after August 2025) or just when you leave an organization that requires it? I suspect that if the military knows I am going to exit service they will not do another investigation come August as I would be leaving a short few months afterwards. Some have told me to just try do the reinvestigation paperwork as soon as it comes in, although it may seize to continue if I out-process from the military. Since my out-of-scope date would be only a few months, would I still be an option for employers? Would I still be a likely option for employers? Most job applications list having an “ACTIVE” TS/SCI clearance so that is what would make me uncertain I would be a likely candidate if I am technically out-of-scope past that 5 year mark.

Army does things ass backwards and frankly are incompetent compared to the rest of the community.

You need to make sure you are enrolled in continuous vetting. As i understand it, there is no 5 year rule on re-investigations now. It’s all continuous vetting.

This seems to vary from customer to customer. Some places will be able to pick you up, while others won’t touch you.

You can put down that you are eligible for access to TS/SCI based on a background investigation dated xx/xx/xxxx.

Maybe think about affiliating with a USAR/National Guard unit which should keep you in the system :slight_smile:

I am in the Continuous Evaluation enrollment, which is the same as continuous vetting if I am not mistaken. My security POC made it sound like there is still a re-investigation that gets done at five years. Like I said my biggest concern was retaining my TS for jobs upon separation. August 2025 is when a reinvestigation is due and I would just want to make sure I can still tell employers I have a TS and not that I had a TS. My separation date is November 2025 so I’m not sure how the investigation would continue. My hope is to try to line up a job right after separating to be available and the TS could just transfer? But I have not separated so I am uncertain how that transition would work.

A few years back I was talking to a security manager from an IC agency. Contractors had recently had the reinvestigation period extended from five to six years; I asked if the same applied to government employees. She said, no its still five, but it could be as long as six, and in fact mine is now seven years old. And this was before CE/CV was widely implemented.

The point (if there is one) is that this whole system is still settling out. Some employers will insist on a recent investigation while others may be more willing to push the limits; I guess it depends on their recent experiences with their customers.

I think (could be wrong) the way CV works is you still have to fill out a new SF86 every 5 years, BUT if the CV hasn’t picked up any red flags, they don’t do a full investigation (if any). They just reset your clearance.