Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

And I have to agree here, has been over one year and half since TO, 14 months in TS/SCI process and no word…other than occasional updates wish I would have known it would have taken so long…

How did you call them?

No, I never got an update or anything. I even had a friend on active duty with JPAS access query the system for any movement; all that JPAS reflected was that the investigation was opened on 01 Sept 2016. (my friend checked JPAS the first week in Feb bye the way)I know it’s difficult to hang in there and all especially if you have to work. Fortunately for me I had my retirement to fall back on so waiting was no biggie. Hope you find out something positive soon

Hey all, figured I would join the fun. Today is day 111 since I submitted my prints and the SF-86. I am just going for a secret right now; using OPM. I just graduated, So like a lot of people here I am working a min wage job while all my other friends have something. I can’t believe they don’t realize how hard this is on the applicants and their employers. My employer seems to be really struggling with their project deadlines and even their intern programs because of the delays. I have to be close though to getting the interim clearance. I mean 111 days is a long long time.

Just want to let everyone know who is waiting to hang in there. Here is an update of my timeline:
Nov 2, 2016 - SF-86 submitted to government
Jan 31, 2017 - Investigation opened
Feb 6-10, 2017 - Recent employers contacted
Mar 2, 2017 - Interim secret received

It took exactly 4 months to receive my interim when I was originally told it could take 3 to 5 months. Best of luck to everyone!

Call your security officer and ask them what your JPAS status is. If it is “eligibility pending” then your interim was denied. They don’t notify you of the status change so its likely they already made a decision. I’m in the same exact position as you, graduated and 213 days now for my secret :frowning:

Hey guys,
I got a interesting email from my fso today. Saying he received a package from the investigators and needs to forward it to me. I asked if he knew what was in the package but he doesn’t know. He assumes that it could be a request for more information that is needed. Anybody else have this happen? Or know what this package consist of?

It could very well be a letter with a request for specific additional information… but I’m surprised they sent it to the FSO and not you.

Now, I’m not saying this is what is happening in your case, BUT… a guy who used to work here got turned down for TS. They verbally informed the security officer, and said they would be sending a letter in a few days to the guy’s home address. So the fact they’re not sending it to your house could mean it is not a bad thing.

If they indicated it was an eyes only package for you… it is more then likely your SOR (Statement Of Reason) package. They are requesting either more information or for you to provide documented fact to mitigate their concerns in moving forward with either a hard denial witch will need an appeal or you wait a full year to reapply. Or there is the good old help them understand how you are making the efforts to correct and mitigate possible concerns. Make sure you have hard documented proof to provide.

They have been keeping me updated often. I have even called in myself to OPM. The just show me as “Pending”. That is the terminology they used. I don’t think I have had any determination on my interim yet.

I believe they are the same, This is a list of all the JPAS statuses. There was a user here named Waitingforsecret that also had “Pending” status, I think he concurred with my conclusion but id defer to him as far as how that ended up.

It was OPM that told me “pending”. DSS told me that they just sent if off to OPM. I think i am ok, but I did email my security guy to see what he says.

Received word yesterday that my NACLC (Tier 3) was completed and I can start work. I submitted my SF-86 in November. It was a complete surprise to me because the last time I checked in with the security officer, they said it hadn’t been “opened” yet. None of my references mentioned being contacted or anything.

So that took about 6 months. Six long, depressing, rough months. I’d say “hang in there!” to you all but I know how meaningless that sounds when you’re still waiting for a completed clearance.

1 Like

Waiting for movement on interim secret since submitting SF-86 in Oct 2016. Previously held a TS/SCI until a layoff in Oct 2013. Decided to request my JPAS and OPM records (FOIA) a week ago and got an immediate response from DMDC. They mailed me a couple of pages of info, one which shows previously held clearance investigation dates and results (SSBI granted, TS granted, SCI granted). Oddly, it shows the most recent investigation (for the interim) was opened and closed on the same day in Nov 2016. Not sure if this is good or bad. As far as I can tell, there’s been no credit check (I check CreditKarma weekly), no one I listed on the SF86 has mentioned being contacted by an investigator, and no other obvious steps seem to have been taken toward an investigation. There are no negative statements to make me think the interim was denied. Still waiting for OPM records to arrive which might shed more light on the situation. Am I in the adjudication phase or what? Any input regarding what may be happening here would be much appreciated. Thank you.

213 business days or calendar? and is that from time of sf86 submission or the investigation was opened?

My credit check didn’t show up on credit karma. I had to look at annualcreditreport.com to see it.

Generally this blog line leans towards day of submission of SF86 . However for a few it has been from day investigation was opened. So this is more a matter of seeing where your submission day and interview days are and then waiting as sad as it is… it truest is a waiting game

213 calendar days from submission, 176 days from investigation opening.

Thank you, Rcjh, for suggesting checking annualcreditreport.com vs creditkarma. Lo and behold, I was able to see that OPM pulled my credit on 3/9. Progress! :grinning:

282 days (192 business) from submission and 199 days (134 business) from investigation opening. Credit was pulled by OPM when investigation opened and pulled again by DOD on the 1st week of Jan. Other than that… silence. Called security office and they said if my clearance comes back within a year from submission, they would be extremely happy.