Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

I submit DOE security clearances in may 2016 and still waiting. Is that common that ALL my reference got contacted? They spread in NY, IN, SC and CA… I kinda surprised that every single one got face to face interviewed. I was a Taiwanese and gave up dual citizenship. Is that why? Or they change the procedures

@anon1989 it definitely did not hurt me, I did not have a squeaky clean background, I had several items in section 22 and section 23, as well as dual citizenship that I revoked.

1 Like

I was reading another forum where clearances are discussed and a couple people said that over a dozen people were contacted! That’s never happened to me but in this day and age who knows.

I am just the secrete not top secret, so I thought it is only 7 years and during my interview they asked for 2 more that know me beyond 7 years, both of them had face to face, also my manager, I thought based on what I read, they supposedly get a questionnaire, but he got face to face as well, they really tighting up the process… sounds like

I’ve been reading the comments for awhile so I thought I’d finally give my story.
I’m in for secret.
Submitted sf-86 in August of 2016
Crickets for what seemed like a lifetime
My employers were contacted sometime in March of 2016
May 2016 rolls around and I get a call from an investigator. I was flagged for a something so had to have an interview
Interview lasted 6 hours (I’ve had a lot of jobs so it took forever.)
I’ve heard nothing since.
Here’s to waiting.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I am a recent graduate with lots of family overseas and I don’t want to wait so long in processing.

From what I can see with other TS clearance candidates, a long wait extending over two years is rather common. Especially in the IC field. But it is interesting that your investigation has been started but no interview, references or employers have been contacted. Within a week that my investigation started, I had my interview, and my references, employers, and neighbors were contacted. I also had my polygraph before my investigation.

I’m 30, and my future employer already told me that my process will take longer since I have lots of family overseas. If I have had extended travel overseas, my process would have taken even longer. With huge backlogs, I think that long processing time is inevitable.

The TS investigative wait is unfathomable!

I submitted SF-86 in March 2016 and saw no action until November 2016-some 9 months later. Then, after a flurry of interviews, radio-silence. As of this writing, I am now approaching 17-months of “in-process” and the only status update that I can obtain is “your investigation is still active.”

1 Like

Are you now in adjudication? If so, for how long?

I wish I could tell you if I was in adjudication or not. Unfortunately, all I can get out of anyone is the investigation is “still active.”

If your background investigation has been completed by OPM, you can find out the status of it by calling 724-794-5612 Ext 7000. After varying your information, ask them for a status of your investigation.

2 Likes

Got a full time offer in Southern Illinois Nov 2016.
Submitted SF-86 the day before Thanksgiving. Was told there would be a delay until March. In April had to resubmit SF-86, Early June, My current employer received a letter in the mail from OPM regarding my investigation, now silence. This is the most nerve wrecking situation I’ve ever dealt with as recent grad.

Graduated May 2016. Received job offer from contractor (Secret needed) and conditional job offer from IC agency (TS/SCI needed). Took the contractor offer and submitted security forms for both jobs at around July 2016. I was denied interim secret in around October but I was able to obtain a full secret in January (6 months).

I desperately want to leave my current job and I am still waiting for my TS/SCI. I finished all my polygraphs and my contacts have been interviewed. It is now July 2017 and I am still waiting for my TS/SCI. Anyone know how long more I have to wait? My background includes lots of foreign family but seeing how I got my secret relatively fast, how will that impact my TS/SCI investigation.

I work for a cleared defense contractor. We have people with Secret clearances with family in places like Iran, Taiwan, India, China, all sort of places.

Nobody like that has ever gotten TS/SCI where I work.

This is just one data point and I have met people other places who did get SCI cleared with foreign family members, even one guy who served in the Soviet Army. But it is going to take longer, and these days even the fast cases are taking like a year or more.

The good news is that even with a Secret clearance you are ahead of the game and might be able to find something else.

Thanks for the feedback Topsecret . I had my poly after 7 month of the purported initiation and nobody asked for a second poly so i guess I passed. I do have family (father, mother, siblings) overseas and they’re not US citizens I don’t know if this is partially causing the long wait in any way?

So I thought I should add my timeline. I have followed this blog for awhile looking for answers and hope, and maybe my situation can shed some light.

August 2015 - Eqip Submitted - Initial Secret for DOD Contractor position
Novermber 2015 - Interview with investigator (4hours)
sometime in 2016 , was told my position is no longer avalable, but clearance will continue
July 2017 - SOR Received and Submitted
SOR was for 4 financial accounts, I returned the SOR packet with documentation showing that I have payments setup on all accounts referenced.
Anyone know how long to hear a response back after SOR is submitted?
Going on two years here, long long wait…

Called the PH# and was told “Your investigation is still active-they are working on it” So, I guess I’m not in adjudication…

I submitted my sf87 4/15 for TS/SCI
BI finished 7/16
Still waiting with no sign that adjudication is actually happening

My status:
May 24th 2016 - Submitted SF86 for Secret.
July sometime - Credit hits (did not show up on credit karma, showed up on freecreditreport.com).
Sept last week 2016 - Interim Denied, Job offer retracted, but the process continued.
March 12th 2017 - Interview with the investigator.
April Ist week - Interview’s with the references.
May last week - Granted clearance.
This week - Sent an inquiry email to the security officer, and was notified of the approval! hurray!

2 Likes