Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

I accepted a position at CACI with a start date of 5 feb18 pending favorable Secret clnc. Previously I worked with a sub contractor on the same position. They started my clnc over 8 months ago. CACI said they would pick up where the sub contractor left off. I am still waiting!

Has anyone on here actually been cleared for a TS clearance in 2017. I was told by my fso 9-18 months and I’m getting close to that but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

lilrob94 - Well seing as Top secret takes longer than Secret in most cases, and most of us waiting on secret clearances are coming up on 2 years, I would say expect at least 18-24 months. But hey, maybe your FSO has some insight that we don’t.

When did your FSO tell you that? Seems like you’re early in the process because your FSO still has conversations with you lol. Hopefully yours maintains contact unlike mine.

Wow 18 month is too long. I would keep my fingers crossed.

I was told that several months ago. This wait time is ridiculous.

I’m going on 14 months now for an initial TS and haven’t heard from an investigator yet and none of my contacts/old bosses have been contacted.

You can call OPM and see if they have finished your investigation. I don’t have the number but you should be able to find it on google.

It is accurate if you are within the 2-5 month range. It is ridiculous. My advice, don’t hold your breath, go out into a job and if it comes through good, if not, well you got a job.

2 Likes

Can u ask for any kind of security clearance? I thought that is only for government employees

Well, 18-months ago I was told a TS would take 6-9 months, then when 9 months passed, I was told 9-12 months…Then, when 12 months passed, I was told 12-18 months…18 months have passed and my FSO will not answer or return my calls…

Yup if your investigation is through OPM you can call and ask. If the investigation is complete you’re probably in adjudication.

they should be able to tell you if your investigation was completed. Hang in there.

Which is similar to what they tell you at the airline gates…

We’re all wondering the same thing. I’m at 13 months and counting with nary a contact made so I wonder what desk in the musty basement my package is on.

I’m really starting to believe that the length of this whole process is a complete crap shoot. Some get lucky but most of us sit in limbo for an indeterminate amount of time. Thanks for this info, it pretty much confirms what I’ve been thinking all along.

1 Like

Not necessarily… you’re in whatever the next stage is. Some will insist that adjudication absolutely positively must be completed within 90 days… which suggests that there exist some kind of pre- and post-adjudication limbo, since many report a lapse of several months between the date that JPAS shows their investigation was completed and the date they were informed that their clearance was final.

Just spoke with Security POC and she clarified a couple items: Background closed in Feb and I understood that I was in adjudications - apparently I misunderstood as I was only in the ‘QUE’ for adjudications. Early July I was assigned to an adjudicator, so progress! Question though - now that I’m assigned to one, is this where the 90 day time frame applies? (Total time as of today is 11 mos from date of submitting SF86; total time from job offer is 12 mos). This is for only T3/Secret.

Actually the standard is 21 days to adjudicate the fastest 90% of cases. However, current wait times are based on workload, priority, and issues (if any).

Did you FSO call DoDCAF to find out you were assigned an adjudicator? I have been stuck in a similar conundrum. Applied for Initial DOD Secret January 2016. January 2017 Investigation closed and I’ve been awaiting adjudication ever since.