Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Hello Ed, I just submitted an SOR as well. My investigation started August 2015, so i’m coming up on two years in the process. Let me know if you hear anything about your written response, I elected to not have a hearing as well. I hope we both hear responses soon!

Stuck in a rut and thinking I should contact my local congressman about seeing what the hold up is with my package for my security clearance.

Would love any and all feed back on the this. Again just stuck contiplating weather or not to do this as I don’t want to put myself in a bad situation however I have been in a pending status since December 2016 and total days thus far is 336 days in processing. I know there are many out there in a greater day count compared to me however I am afraid that maybe I got lost in the new administration bustle and might even be laying on some desk somewhere or waiting on my NAC to be completed.

Please any feed back will be appreciated. My year date in process will be August 17

Update.
The owner of the company I will be working for texted me this morning stating that my Interim Clearance has been granted. So 90 days from the time I resubmitted the SF-86 it went through. Overall 8 month waiting period.

As a lot of us have been saying, there are 2015 and 2016 applicants here still waiting. I didn’t hear anything from October 2015 until July 2017 when I received an SOR. I don’t think your congressman will help. Unfortunately you are going to have to learn to get on with your life, and hopefully the clearance will come through. You can’t count on any specific time frame, as we all have learned.

Hey that’s some good news!

Pretty awesome dude, you must be SQUEAKY clean. :slight_smile:

In a previous post, I think he said he was a new grad… that helps too!

I’m over a year myself just for a secret. I sent an email earlier this month and got a nasty response from the individual stating it was the same as last time I checked (a few months before). I have no idea what the heck is going on - Other than one old ding credit wise, which by now already has fallen off - I’m clean as a whistle. I’ve kind of given up on it and actually just interviewed for another position that only requires public trust which I already have. This is ridiculous the wait times - so disgusted with the whole process and I’m already a Federal employee and have been for the last eight years!

Wow already a Federal employee and still it takes a year. You would think your “trustworthiness” has been accounted for with your recent public trust. Makes me wonder if I even want to get into the federal world anymore. I was in the Army years ago, but I have a decent civilian job now and it seems like the Federal world is more unreliable than civilian. The only difference is the pay.

Mike,

There is no telling how long they take. My wife and I put in our SF-86 in 2015 within a week of each other and she had a complete TS done in 122 days. She had never previously held a clearance.

For me it has now been over 750 days. I have held either an S or a TS for the past 29 years with no breaks and no incidents.

The funny part is we had almost all the same info. Same family members, same residences, same references, same neighbors, etc. The only major difference is that she had several different jobs over the past 10 years and I was in the military and then a GS. At least in my case it does not go any faster for an already employed GS.

Also, several of my friends still on active duty have told me that they are waiting 2 or more years for final clearances to come through.

1110 - Wow this is unbelievable. You should share this story with everyone who thinks they are going to get cleared quickly. Put your story out there and we will all be a little more patient. :slight_smile: Thanks for the insight.

Update: Finally got my interim secret clearance. It’s been a little over 8 months since my actual investigation was initiated.

Oddly enough no one bothered to contact me and tell me I had an interim. I finally contacted my security officer and he said it came through about 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

Right there with you on the 700+ days. I’m on the same boat as you. It’s a weird process and it’s almost like we are forgotten about for an extended period of time. I have read on here that initial clearances do process faster though. But 122 days is pretty good compared to everyone else waiting forever.

Hi all. Long time lurker. I am currently going through a Tier 3 investigation for a DoD accounting job and thought I’d share my timeline:

Submitted SF-86: 9/9/16
Investigation opened: 10/12/16

And basically radio silence since then–I most recently e-mailed my FSO for an update on June 26th and was told that the investigation was still ongoing. My current employer and a former employer told me in late October/early November that that they had been contacted to confirm my existence, but beyond that neither I nor any of my references have heard from an investigator or anyone else.

One question for Mr. Hakamaa or anyone who might be knowledgeable on the topic: I don’t have a criminal record of any kind, but I do have a really common last name and a fairly common first name. I’ve run across a few articles that suggest that an investigation can be held up greatly if your name shows up in an FBI namecheck, and I was wondering if anyone would have any sense of how long an investigation could be delayed if another person with my name did something to wind up on the FBI’s radar.

My best wishes to everyone else on this message board.

I had secret clearance before and it expired. Received job offer and submitted SF86 on Nov.16
Denied Interim:March 17
Since then there is no update what so ever. Is it normal?

I have a problem with my clearance, and I hope someone can tell me what to do about it. In 2015 I was on a contract overseas. My work hours was from 8pm to 8am. I had been with this company for eight months. One night during my shift I became seriously ill. I had a stomach virus. I never missed a day of work, never been late, never received any written or verbal warnings ever. My co- worker told to go home, all our tasks for the night had been completed. I was never told to contact the shift lead if any of us had to leave the sight. Mind you I had a great performance review after being there for eight months. My next evening at work I was told that I was terminated, by the site lead, of course this was a shock to me. I ask why he told me that I didn’t call him to let him know I was sick, this was at 2:30am when I left that morning. Then we swore back and forth at each other for about a minute and I left. To make this short the next contract I was offered I found out that I no longer had a clearance, I was never contacted by anyone nor any type of formal letter. I found out through a recruiter that my clearance was taken because I was verbally abusive to this guy who terminated me for no reason. I never threatened him are approached him that night. Last year in December I had an interview with OPM at my house, never heard anything about that, filled out two e-quips since then for other contracts. I have been offered numerous contracts that require a clearance but couldn’t accept. Can anyone tell me what to do about this matter, I have never been terminated from any job in my 40 years of employment, have always finished every contract from Iraq, Afghanistan. Africa, etc. Thanks for the ear. Hope someone hears me.

The FBI is clearing their own backlog and unknown as to the status of how long name check hits are getting cleared. However, I have seen some movement for cases from the specific time period you mentioned.

1 Like

I about a month behind amj. So hopefully I get to see that movement soon! Thanks for the insight.

So you were denied an interim 4 months ago? Be ready for a long wait my friend. It could be at least another year before the final clearance goes through. Maybe you will be contacted by an investigator soon, maybe not. Either way, I didn’t hear a word for 18 months after my interim was not approved.

Thank you Mr Hakamaa – anything that fights the vague sense that my file has fallen into a black hole is appreciated!