Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Not everyone gets interviewed for secret.

Greetings! Anyone have any input on how long it takes from the time the investigators submit their paperwork to when it goes into adjudication? It’s been a couple of weeks for me…

I’m not sure exact timeline from investigation submission to adjudication, but be prepared for a wait. Once my investigation was submitted (Nov. 2015), I waited 19 months until I got the clearance (Aug. 2017). Everyones timeframe is different. I think the soonest would be 30-90 days, longest would be 24 months.

Timeline update:
Submitted SF86 August 17th 2016 to OPM
Credit and Previous emplyoers contacted Nov 14th 2016
Met with BI Feb 14th 2017
Investigation closed Sept 7th 2017
Currently pending Adjudication…

Does being a direct hire effect the timeline for processing your clearance application? I was reviewing the timelines that several people have posted but mine seems to be following a “faster” timeline. I am a new grad pursing a DOD initial clearance.

Being a “new grad” helps your process. Less adult life to investigate. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m a ‘new grad’ too. In the sense that I got the job the summer after I graduated. Still am waiting lol… I have heard that direct hires are faster but that is not confirmed to my understanding.

How did you know it close did you call a number or FSO?

I was first notified via congressional contact and I then called the FOIA hotline for OPM to confirm.

Can you tell me the steps of congressional contact, I think I need to do this now? Mine is still pending.

Contact your local congressional rep for the area you live in wither via email, phone or walk in contact.

They will ask you to fill out an authorization form for them to look into your matter for you.

From there it is all in the congressman’s representatives hands and they will do the follow up as they are allowed

Hey thanks a lot I just started the proccess.

How many days have you been at this?

Just remember this is not a fast process.

1 year and 4 months waiting.

You have had more paitence then I… I started looking at congressmen at my year mark… then held off till I was at one year one month and asked for help…

I was at 1year 3months and finally contacted my congressman. Faxed him the form on his site and then 24 hours later I got a call from an investigator. Had my interview the next day.

1 Like

I also feel compelled to contact my congressperson, but I am in the adjudicative phase and I am not sure if they can help with that in any way. It seems to be a black hole.

From what Ive been told once it is in adjudication, you have to wait till the decision(or be contacted). They will not provide any updates. company FSO, OPM, congressman etc will be unable to help or even get updates.

Thanks a bunch for the response! I went ahead and contacted my congressman and it seemed like everything was in order. But, I just received a call from his office yesterday saying that OPM had “no record” of me… I have no idea what that’s about. It’s not like I haven’t already done the polygraph and the interview. Right now I’m trying to figure out what this is all about.

Some agencies do not do their work through OPM. The congressman would have to contact the agency, not OPM.