Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Wow… pretty quick to get this far! Hard to say how quickly things will progress from here but hopefully it will continue to be moving quickly.

I don’t think there is a separate adjudication for TS and SCI. Now, at my contractor job, they thought it would speed things up to put people in for a TS and then submit them again for SCI, but they gave up on that after a few months. But in that situation, they were having people submit two separate packets.

Thanks for posting your timeline.

Someone who is not a US citizen. The SF86 Asks if you have more than one passport/citizenship so it would be wise to include them in that case. If you have talked to them in any shape or form within a year put it down. If they are family, put it down. If you have the possibility to be in contact with them during your investigation put them down. This goes for any method of communication; Facebook, email, phone, in person, etc. I was so cautious to include a friend (exchange student my family hosted) from china who I only play video games with.

What number did you call and what Information did they asked for. When I tried they told me that they have no information of me. Can you please share the number.
Thanks

Mine is taking forever. Interim granted Sept 2016. and as of today… I’m gotten no calls and all I have for intel… is that its “scheduled.” Over 300 working days for a Secret.

Yes, count it as business days

How exactly did you go about contacting your congressman? Email, letter, phone…? What exactly did you say? I have thought about doing this but I’m not sure the most effective way of going about it.

Thanks!

Hoss81 Don’t give up! You may want to utilize your congressional representatives. I believe it worked for. I ran out of patience at 6 months and contacted my Senator. Magically, my references started to be interviewed and I was adjudicated 3 months later. Now, I’m stuck in SCI processing for the agency ( 9 weeks and counting). However, I don’t think it would be wise for me to go the congressional route with my new employer.

Thank you loyo29 for your relpy. I guess i dont have any other routs to to try but to run it by my reps. It’s just so frustrating. Thanks again and good luck to you !

Try the congressman/senators website. Under services they may indicate if they are able to help constituents with government paperwork matters. they may even have a form(mine did) where you can provide details and authorize the congressman/senators office to enquire on your behalf.

I’m in a similar situation here. I haven’t done my poly yet and I’m approaching the two-year mark since doing the subject interview. It looks like this could drag on for many months to come, if I just sit and wait.

Thanks! I’ll see what I can find.

Just got word, 106 days after submitted sf86, start work in 2 weeks!

1 Like

I accepted a position in Feb '17 for a position requiring a secret clearance. Got my paperwork in immediately. Got a call in July from an investigator with who I met immediately. He turned in my paperwork in August. He claims to have no information after he turns in the paperwork. It’s now the end of September and I’m waiting patiently, working consulting jobs in the meantime and trying to make ends meet. Then today I get a letter from my “new” employer stating the government requires they fill the position for which they made me the offer and because the clearance process has taken 9 months already, they are rescinding myniffer of employment. So after nine months of financial hardship, waiting for the government to grant my clearance, the government is pressuring my company to rescind my job offer because it’s taking too long for the government to grant me a secret clearance. (And I had a clearance years ago but due to job change my TS/SCI went inactive).
I’m trying to convince my potential employer to wait a little longer as the average wait time hasn’t been reached yet but they are done waiting for the government to come through as the same government is pressuring them to start someone in the position for which they hired me.
Seriously???
And there is seemingly no one I can call to see where I was in the process even.
#failedProcess

Sking1018 - This is pretty common. Once your clearance has taken longer than 6months (Or any timeframe they deem excessive) they can rescind the offer and give to someone else to fill the position. Happened to me. My job offer was rescinded after 6 months when my clearance wasn’t granted. They allowed the clearance to continue to fill a different position once clearance was final. Didn’t work out great in the end for me with that company. Ended up going to different company once clearance was granted. Sorry to hear that, but it is the nature of the business.

congrats, thats awesome!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Keep trying to get your sponsoring company to wait a a little longer. Reach out to congressman could be an option. There is nobody that you can directly call to figure out where you are in the stack.

I hit the one year point in my wait for a secret roughly a month ago and sent in a letter to my senior senator. Within a week I got a letter back saying that someone in the office would look into the matter and get back to me, probably in 6-8 weeks.

You have to go and send in written authorization for you them to look into the matter on your behalf. The form should be on the website of any member of congress under constituent services or similar. Download it, write an explanation, sign it and send it in. I’d recommend sending it to a district office, as constituent service folks tend to operate out of them, while the DC office handles legislative affairs. It’ll wind up in front of the right person either way, but if you send it to DC it could take longer. I also sent the letter to a staffer who was listed as dealing with requests dealing with the military (I’m applying for a DoD job), though when it doubt just address it to the Senator/Representative directly. I’d also suggest sending the letter to a member of an armed service committee or intelligence committee (depending on what sort of company/agency you’ll be working with) if possible–you can look up the committee assignments of your members of congress. All else equal I’d probably contact a senator over a house member, though if you live in a large state (I do) the greater volume of constituent requests that Senate offices get might mean that talking to a member of the house will be quicker.

As far as what to write, I think I just mentioned that I’d been waiting a year, hadn’t heard anything, and that the process had taken far longer than I had originally been told. I also gave them information about the agency that was sponsoring the clearance, and the type of investigation. If they need more info I’m sure they’ll contact you–and I’ll bet the congressional offices are used to getting letters like this by now.

Anyway, hope that helps.

1 Like

My timeline for Secret.

June 2016: SF86 Submitted
Aug 2016: Opened/Scheduled w/OPM
Sep 2016: Interim Clearance granted
Sept 2017: Over 300 working days later… I’m still waiting for an investigator to call.

To close out Sept 2017: I sent a letter to my Congressman.
One day later… they sent letter to OPM/NBIB.

I’ll keep you posted if anything happens.

thanks for everything. i appreciate a lot this thread and all its posters, i really found some very useful information here. thanks for everything. I have been waiting for 5 months now… and i start having headaches to point i search for pharmacy reviews because i truly need help… that’s OMG how hard to wait!

I have the same timeline except that my interim clearance was not granted. I had the interview on late June 2017. I use to live in a city 3 hours of where I am now. When the original investigator called she thought I was still in the same city but I told her I had moved. It took three weeks longer to get an interview with another investigator in the city I am now. I don’t know if this is a delay, but my investigation is still opened. It’s 4 months since my interview.