Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

It doesn’t matter what went on between June and November. Your process didn’t start until November 2018.

Did you explain the debts to an investigator prior to receiving an SOR?

@EdFarmerIII, yes I kind of figured the process doesn’t really start until the forms are submitted. I am still hoping that it keeps up with the same pace though .

No they never contacted me. Everything was done through my security manager… everything I got completed I uploaded it to my file(DISS). Letters, receipts, etc…

Hi all! Please help if you have any insight!!

I’ve been waiting on my clearance for what feels like forever.
Here is my timeline- (TS/Sci -FS)
Nov 2017- submitted
May 2018- Poly
… Both my Poly & BI are completed and favorable-
I just found out that I’m not in adjudication not even close. Is this OK? Are they backlogged? Should I be concerned? Is this normal to wait for adjudication?

Normal to wait for adjudication? Yes. There appears to be some kind of queue where your case waits to be assigned to an adjudicator.

Normal to wait since May 2018? It could be that now they are doing your investigation and it has yet to be completed. That is one possible explanation for the long delay without getting to the adjudicator.

How do you know you are not in adjudication yet?

If you are waiting on a (TS/Sci -FS) these can take several years to complete depending on case complexity and workloads. Go on with you life and don’t stress over it is my only advice.

August submitted EQIP for Secret
September 3-4 edited EQIP resubmitted
October OPM pulled my credit
December spoke with investigator who informed me they cant contact some of my employers I explained some have closed so im SOL providing a new contact.
March 2019 found out No interim from Security Manager (she was unable to tell me why)
March 14 2019, no news or new updates.
I am a direct hire for DOD and Began working in July 2018 however, unable to perform the job I was hired on to do.

Interesting that they let you start without a clearance… did you have to sign some kind of acknowledgement that you could be let go if you didnt get cleared?

Not terribly unusual that you didn’t get an interim. Dont worry too much about that.

Your timeline is not that bad yet. Since September, that’s what about six months? When you get to the one year mark, then you can start wondering what is going on.

1 Like

I’ve been following along this thread for a while, but I thought I would jump in here. For my TS/SCI:

Jan 21 2019 - Submitted SF-86
Mar 07 2019 - Interview with investigator, who tells me all my references have already been interviewed.

My BI has seemingly gone quite quickly - maybe because I’m in the Midwest? It’s been a few weeks without contact, I’m waiting for a call to set up my poly/medical/etc.

1 Like

My current timeline for Secret clearance, waiting to start work with a DoD contractor. I can’t start any sort of work without an interim or full clearance.

Aug 2018 - Went out for job interview
Sept 2018 - Accepted conditional job offer, SF-86 filled out, fingerprints done, submitted to OPM
Oct/Nov 2018 - Credit checked (had to pull full report to see the soft-check)
Dec 2018 - Contacted FSO and found out that interim was ‘pending’, suggested to contact congressperson
January 2019 - Tried to contact congressperson’s office, they said they were taking care of it.
March 2019 - Contacted different congressperson’s office, they actually took care of it. Heard from investigator a few days later.
April 2019 - Met with investigator who said, “I am surprised you didn’t get an interim” and sent me on my way after a half hour of talking.
Current - Waiting for adjudication, presumably. Investigator said the report would be done and submitted the day after my interview.

I had a similar response from investigator (mine is TS btw so it varies), but just keep being patient since there is not much you can do. My investigator told me she would send the report it in the next day and investigation will be closed, but it didn’t close till 4 months later. Im not sure if mine had any additional things they needed, but she said no issues.

I don’t think that an investigator should be saying any such thing.

2 Likes

As my investigator put it, all of the checks had been done other than the interview, which they stated would simply need to be typed up. I can’t say whether they stuck to their schedule exactly, I think they just wanted me to know where I was in the process.

Does anyone know when the “adjudication phase” starts? I’m undergoing a TS/SCI and I was interviewed in Jan 2019. I originally submitted my SF 86 in Jul 2017. Am I in the adjudication phase or does that occur after the poly?

If a polygraph is part of the required steps then they cannot complete adjudication without it. Now, can they take a look at everything else and make a decision that once they get a nice clean (ie,successful) poly it is good to go?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I’ll share my timeline for my T3 Reinvestigation done for a civilian contracting job but also used for my Air Force Reserve job.

May 2017 - Submitted SF-86
June 2017 - Investigation started
June 2017 - Credit pulled
June 2018 - Enhanced Subject Interview
July 2018 - Follow up meeting with investigator and then another meeting with initial investigator’s coworker (Had to redo a form for an alcohol assessment release from my initial meeting…twice)
Dec 2018 - Investigation phase complete
March 2019 - Adjudication complete, security clearance granted.

I had disclosed a DUI/reckless driving charge on my SF-86 as well as an alcohol counseling session as part of my sentencing. I also indicated alcohol had caused an issue as a result of the arrest. I also had previously disclosed the incident to both my civilian and military security managers and supervisors. During the interview I took complete ownership of the incident and expressed honest regret in what happened. Most of my interview revolved around this event with the exception of a few random questions. One was why I had made a money order for $11K at a Fred Meyer (sold a car and wanted to convert the cash quickly) and another was a question about a deployment overseas but I couldn’t figure out where the investigator was going with that one so I answered I had been on a deployment and that was the end of that.

Overall, followed a lot of the good advice posted here since my 7 years since the arrest and my eventual reinvestigation. Glad to have that behind me now.

2 Likes

You must have followed the instructions on the form and answered the questions accurately! Great job! That’s what majorly slows down the process - answering questions incorrectly. I admit that the SF86 is definitely NOT an intuitive form. Some questions are just mind-numbing and people just put an answer, or “I don’t know”. Each of the unanswered questions, Estimated dates, “I don’t know”, Unknown responses have to be researched by the Investigators. This takes time that could have been avoided. Good luck!

1 Like

A colleague of mine recently left for a DOD contract job requiring Secret clearance. He told me he filled out the SF86 in January 2019, got interim pretty quickly, and final Secret clearance granted in April 2019 - THREE months from start to finish, including the month where govt. was shutdown. This seems too good to be true, but he’s not the type to fabricate something like this, and he wouldn’t be leaving his current role until he’s got the clearance approval in hand.

It happens. The numbers that are often cited are averages (typically for fastest 90%), and they have long tails toward the long-wait extremes. However, there are still a few people on the front end who pass through insanely quickly. I would assume that your colleague also had his clearance processing expedited, probably had very little to investigate, and didn’t move around much in the last few years. I would expect good credit, no crimes, no foreign contacts, minimal foreign travel, and no drug usage.

1 Like