Background Investigation Issue

Just as a background: I was fired from a previous job due to issues with my supervisor. I was written up a few times during the course of my employment there, however I felt I was being targeted. I disclosed being fired on my SF-86 and stated that I was written up multiple times, but I do not recall the exact amount of times, because I no longer have copies of the write-ups. I told the first BI that did my subject interview upfront that I no longer have the write-ups, and I could not remember the details of each one, but I told her what I could remember, and stated the exact reasoning for my firing. I received a call from another BI stating that they uncovered some info regarding my employment there, and they asked about an incident in the write-ups that I failed to disclose to them. My employer accused me of falsifying a document regarding clients. I did not intentionally withhold anything, I could just simply not remember the allegation they were referring to, and that is what I told the BI who did my follow up interview. I also told them that I would not lie, because I know they could easily access those write-ups since they have a release. I have received good references from all of my other employers, and they interviewed a co-worker of mine at the employer that I was fired from who defended me and spoke about my supervisor’s questionable character. I also disclosed probably too much about myself on my SF-86, but I wanted to be as honest as possible. I am very worried cause now I believe it looks like to them that I withheld that particular incident, but it was due to me not recalling the incident in question. Would an adjudicator deny my clearance due to not fully disclosing the circumstances behind a particular write-up? Hopefully someone has some insight. Thanks!

The adjudicator will likely look at two sides of each issue that you didn’t disclose. First, the story that they get from the employer. Second, they will look at how much sense it makes that you didn’t remember it. If, for example, you got into a fist fight in the break room, it seems like something that you should have remembered. If you were written up for misfiling a customer’s paperwork, you very well might not remember.

The fact that you told the investigator that you didn’t remember everything moves you, part way, toward mitigation. But, the issues could still pile up and prevent you from clearing. The fact that a coworker stood up for you and questioned the character of the supervisor that you had issues with also works in your favor, but you have to remember that as adults we have a responsibility to figure out how to work with people that you don’t like and who may not like you. It is possible that you could have handled things better even if the supervisor was unreasonable.

1 Like

No one here is this site can guarantee anything, my only suggestion for you is to keep applying to as many jobs as you are interested and qualified for. I have a client that sent in over 400 applications before getting fully adjudicated. The case took 3 years from start to finish and she had already taken another job from among the 400 applications. That’s the problem with this system, its too slow and most people that are unemployed or underemployed are not willing to wait.

1 Like

So how long does DoD adjudication typically take for a TS once the BI is closed?

1 Like

So if you were the adjudicator, what would you do if this was the only issue?

If this is the only issue you will be fine. Adjudication can take anything between three months or much, much, longer. It can take four to six weeks before your file is even assigned to an adjudicator.

The thing that you have to remember is that it is the investigator’s job to gather as much information as he can on any issue that comes up. He is only doing his job, not making any judgements.