Background Investigation Question

As far as I know the subject interviews are not to be conducted in a subjects home at all unless an circumstance exists (such as a disability or injury keeping the subject homebound).

Could be. I’m only referring to NBIB Investigations.

NBIB stopped allowing home interviews for Subjects about ten years ago. The investigator has to get special dispensation - to the point it is much easier to just find a more neutral spot.

I used hate doing the interviews in the Subject’s home because they were too “comfortable” and the interviews would take much longer. Even when I do the interviews in the Subject’s office, I sit at the desk and have them sit elsewhere. This reduces the distractions from telephones and emails.
(old dog trick)

1 Like

Only have done one interview as a Subject’s home. Had stage four cancer and couldn’t leave the house.

Very awkward and very sad.

1 Like

I’ve encountered numerous people while conducting field work who had said that their NBIB investigation was conducted in their house and they thought it was normal, which was odd because most of these people worked at cleared contractor facilities. Even though it’s against policy it seems there are investigators out there who may have not gotten the memo.

For example, I was interviewing a FEMA reservist and I scheduled the meeting at a local library. She was pretty irate about having to meet me at the library because her husband (also FEMA) had his interview done at their residence and she couldn’t understand why I couldn’t do the same.

1 Like

DOD can interview at your residence. No policy breach

1 Like

NBIB (OPM) has been doing the DoD investigations for over a decade. We are not allowed to routinely interview Subjects at their home. (Sources are a different process).

Just curious why is that? Why are you not allowed to interview in a subjects home?

There’s probably many reasons for it

Sometimes when interviewing a subject and confronting them with derogatory information that was developed during the course of the investigation, they can become somewhat hostile, so I’m sure investigator safety factors into that decision to not allow the interviews in their home.

Also, I wouldn’t want you to become too comfortable or distracted while trying to conduct an interview

MKes perfect sense now.
Or i can see the interviewee saying wait wait "goes to the attic to dig up documents of something brought up:…comes back 1 hour later. Making the interview 10 times as long as it needs to be.

1 Like

My investigation is for a role with an IC agency within the DOD if that makes a difference to protocol. I’ve heard several different takes on the process so far.

When we used to do Subject interviews at the Subject’s home, often privacy and timeliness (Subject’s trying to do chores, answer phones, or involve family members) were issues. There were also numerous times where we were with young Subjects with no one else around.

Toss in the several times I have been threatened by a Subject even at their work place or a military/federal interview room and I appreciate that we just don’t do Subject interviews in the Subject’s home.

The worst was when the union reps used to be allowed in the interview.

Ridiculous.

“Toss in the several times I have been threatened by a Subject even at their work place or a military/federal interview room and I appreciate that we just don’t do Subject interviews in the Subject’s home.”

LOL What?!? Tell me if that happens it plays a negative part in their investigation.

Usually the threats would come after I confronted them on serious information they have hidden or tried to deny. To my knowledge the four people over the years that have directly threatened me during the interview did not get their jobs/clearances.