CI Poly and Sexual History

I thought it was on the borderline with the military but I did NOT know it was a clearance issue (I’m single with no children and not dating anyone) and I informed my military leadership in 2010. Hopefully, the issue is mitigated by time…

Here’s what I see . . . When you say that you “passed” the poly, this doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Passing doesn’t indicate that there are no issues or problems clearing you. It simply means that it appears that you were answering all of the questions honestly. When you fail, it doesn’t mean that you are not a candidate for clearance. It only means that you appeared, during the test, to lying or hiding something or just less than truthful.

Then your responses go to an adjudicator whose responsibility it is to evaluate your entire file.

In other words, you could admit to having fantasies about assassinating public officials and “pass” the polygraph. However, you are going to be cleared to work a personal protection detail with the Secret Service.

1 Like

Ed, you write in part “When you fail, it doesn’t mean that you are not a candidate for clearance.” Actually, failing a polygraph means precisely that. At least with respect to the agency that administered the polygraph.

I didn’t say that you were going to get cleared when you failed a poly. I said that it didn’t mean that there were any disqualifying factors. Except of course, for the failed poly.